Is it possible to build an embedded app to "connect" the external payment option to a card terminal?

ayrity
Excursionist
35 0 26

I am in the unique position that I want desperately to use Shopify's POS for my physical retail location, but since we sell alcohol, we are blocked from using shopify payments. That means that we have no way to connect a payment method to the POS app without having to do the whole manual type in the amount into the CC terminal by hand. This is unacceptable as a solution for many reasons that I won't get into beyond saying it looks unprofessional, is much slower, and creates another place where mistakes can occur during the checkout process.

I understand there are limitations on the credit card terminal integrations, and that the decision to have things be this way was made by the wizard of Oz behind the curtain, so there is no way someone can ever have an open conversation with those in charge of such things. I've moved on in my thinking.

What I wonder now is, with all the connections, and APIs and automation that EVERYONE brags about in 2021, is it possible to create an integrated/embedded app for the POS software that does NOT process the payment, but instead when the "pay with credit card" button is pressed by an employee, it sends the total to be charged request to an external payment gateway's system, waits for a message back from the gateway telling the shopify POS that the credit card has been approved and charged?

It seems simple on paper to me (a non-dev who is very familiar with systems like this), and avoids the issue of placing CC charges through Shopify POS entirely, and instead is just a piece of software that sends a dollar amount and request to charge to (for example) the API / webhook of Stripe/Authorize.net/whoever, the related credit card terminal shows the dollar amount on it as usual, the customer puts the card in, and is charged, then the webhook api send back to Shopify POS either a "success" or "fail" for the charged amount.

Anyone have any insight into this? Anyone interested in working with me on such a solution? Shopify Officials, any thoughts? Thank you.

Replies 4 (4)

CourtneyMiller
Excursionist
79 1 4

Are you positive that alcohol sellers are prohibited from using Shopify Payments? Is your stored based in the United States? It used to be that way, but apparently Shopify U.S lifted that restrictions in 2020. Alcohol is no longer a prohibited product - you can see a list of currently prohibited products here under "IP Infringement, regulated, or illegal products and services" in section B. There is also a post made by Shopify officials regarding this.

Have you also considered other alternate POS options? Is there a reason why you are keen on using Shopify POS?

ayrity
Excursionist
35 0 26

That is some good info on the restrictions, thank you CourtneyMiller, I'll look into it. I have considered alternate POS systems, and in fact have been using Vend POS connected to shopify for years now, however since it works by mirroring inventory through API calls, there are ALWAYS errors, and we end up missing products, prices not being changed, inventory not matching, pictures and descriptions not updated etc etc, and we have too many products that change way way too frequently to keep up manually, and we are drowning in error correction every day. Working with Vend, they are too focused on fixing the one particular error that you call them about, and the issue hasnt been fixed despite their senior management talking about changing the way their systems work. It also just feels cleaner to have one system with two outlets of sales.

Every Omnichannel POS says they sync and connect to Shopify, but I am convinced that it is impossible for an API / webhook based sync system to ever be close to 100% so, I want to have a POS that uses the same inventory as shopify- thus shopify POS seems like the answer.

The only real issue with changing to shopify pay is, of course, the fees. We have an incredible negotiated rate and fantastic customer service for our in store credit card processing, they can connect through authorize.net, so I would prefer to keep them as out in store processor (we use our own separate acct for shopify processing right now).

ayrity
Excursionist
35 0 26

Which aspect? Sorry? I'm a bit confused by your response- I thought (one of the things) I was doing by posting here was asking people who maybe know more than I do, if not outright experts. Can I clarify something for you, and you might know more?

ApexSawTool
Visitor
2 0 0

@ayrity  - We are facing the exact same issue and trying to find a work around, with a tech/dev who can build an API, app or integration for our current merchant processor into Shopify POS.  Have you had any luck finding a solution, since you last posted in May?