Is Wisepad 3 collecting customer card names?

Louise_Lee
Excursionist
39 0 23

Just started using the Wisepad 3 for our POS card reader. I have noticed on several, but not all, sales made that a name has been attributed in the customer field in Shopify when I go back into the order to look at it.  As they're not regular customers I am unsure if they are the customer's actual name/name on their card, but we don't need to capture this information.  Is there a way of turning it off?

Replies 7 (7)

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @Louise_Lee.

Thanks for bringing your question to our Community forum. That's a great question. I'm happy to provide some clarification. 

I reached out to my retail technical team and they let me know it is expected that the customer's name is pulled from their credit card and stored on the order. Currently, there is no way to turn this off. Recording customer contact details is especially useful for sending receipts by email, and for broadening your customer base for email marketing campaigns, or pulling up an order for a refund, etc. If you wish, you can manually delete this information from the customer field. To gather a little bit more context, may I ask why you would like to turn this feature off? I am happy to see if there is a workaround option for your desired outcome. 

Talk soon, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Louise_Lee
Excursionist
39 0 23

Recording customer name etc is fine for our online orders, that makes sense.

For our POS we don't really need it.  We have a receipt printer so rarely need to email a receipt, nor have customers at the till consented to us holding their information (not sure if it's a GDPR issue if it's only one point of information?).  Also it seems pretty hit and miss. We've had maybe ten transactions with the new card reader and less than half of those recorded the name from the customer's card.

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @Louise_Lee.

Thanks for getting back to me with this context! To clarify, it would depend on the customer's credit card provider. It's not something that we have the ability to turn on and off from our end. If a customer is not comfortable with the system collecting their name, they could reach out to their credit card provider to change the security preferences on that specific card. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

All the best,

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

RobertCo
Shopify Partner
22 1 11

We also ran into this issue. It's made particularly worse by the fact the fact you can't delete the customer record or remove the customer record from the order (As Shopify doesn't let you delete a customer record that has an associated order). We like to keep clean customer data as good practise so having an influx of customer records that have no use and haven't requested to be on our database was a problem.

We managed to 'fix' the problem by setting up a piece in Arigato (the app) that identified these orders based off a set of conditions and then detached the customer record from the order and then deleted the customer automatically. Works perfectly fine, although ideally we wouldn't rely on an app to fix a problem where the customer hasn't consented to us creating a customer record for them.

Louise_Lee
Excursionist
39 0 23

It's made even worse from the fact we cannot merge customer accounts. Some of the customers details who have decided to populate are return customers (I know this because I deal mostly with our shop both online and at POS) however not all staff will remember everyone's face and name, nor should they have to. As I can't merge customer accounts that's just redundant bit of data on the system I can't pair to a real life person.  Very annoying.

RobertCo
Shopify Partner
22 1 11

Yes, same thing here - on our old system we would have merged these customers. With the Arigato solution we are able to then re-assign these orders to the correct customer record (effectively merging them), so it does resolve that problem. Again, not ideal due to requiring third party app.

Greenbobbin
Excursionist
26 0 6

The day that Shopify allow us to merge customer accounts I will mark it on my calendar as a special day.

Seems like such a basic thing to be able to do, but for some reason it's never been built in.