Why are customer payments showing twice on statements with Shopify?

Estrella
Visitor
2 0 0

We have been using Shopify in our retail store for a couple of months now and for the most part we're very happy.

However, we've had a recurring issue over the past few days which is very frustrating and is costing us customer goodwill.

Payments that are taking more than one attempt to authorise via Shopfiy payments using the card reader are showing twice on customer statements. My understanding is that the initial pre-authorisations that don't go through should drop off immediately, but for whatever reason it isn't happening. Customers bank statements show duplicate transactions, yet we only have one payment. The transaction I checked today does actually show two authorisations when I look at the payment info in Shopify admin, yet the first one was declined. It's frustrating as I can only direct customers to contact their bank, yet it looks to them like we have their money twice!

I was previously using Barclaycard processing and didn't have this issue once in 13 years. It's making me very nervous whenever cards don't go through at the first attempt, in case I have more angry customers accusing me of double charging them.

Is there any way to avoid/resolve this issue? I'm considering manually inputting all payment details, which is time consuming and totally defeats the object of having a card reader in the first place.

Replies 2 (2)

Estrella
Visitor
2 0 0

This is still happening and it's very frustrating. I'd really apprecite some feedback from Shopify on this, but support seems to be inaccessible at the moment? I keep getting sent around in circles when I try and access it.

I appreciate it may not be a Shopify specific issue but I'd like to be able to definitively tell my customers this, because as far as they're concerned, we're taking their payment twice as this is how it looks on their statement. It's not something that has been an issue with previous card payment providers in our 13 years of trading. If there's something I can do to stop this happening I would like to know ASAP!

Silver-Origins
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, we are having the same problem in both our stores since updating to their new POS app upgrade. I told them back in July, so frustrated.

regards

marcus