Pick Up in Store Option - Without Needing Card Information

loxxhair
Tourist
6 0 1

For all my retail friends you know how often we are asked " Can I buy online and pickup". As great as this sounds, with the increase in fraudulent activity, it comes with risk. Is there an app that allows you to add a "pick up in store" option, but not require any forms of payment?  Any insight is appreciated.

Replies 3 (3)

RubyWalker
Shopify Partner
37 5 12

Can you maybe explain what you consider the risk vectors to be in having people pay online and then collect in store (which is what we do for our store)? You can certainly set up a "pay on collection" option (without an app) in Shopify - but it would appear for all orders and might not address your risk concerns anyway.

loxxhair
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi @RubyWalker , in terms of risk, fraudulent charges are a high risk for us. We've dealt with countless chargebacks and shifting being that we have proof that we have tracking on these shipments allows us to protect ourselves in in these chargeback cases. If a customer purchases online and picks up in store we lose visibility on the movement of the product and when the chargeback case is filed we can only say "the customer picked up the item". We've dealt with this for years so we pretty much have a system for how to deal with online risk.

If we can add a "collected in store" store option that would resolve this issue, but we did not see this option. 

RubyWalker
Shopify Partner
37 5 12

Ok, well assuming you've already enabled local pickup in the Shopify admin (Settings... Shipping and delivery) it might be worth taking a look at "manual payment methods" (Settings... Payments, and then scroll right down to the bottom).

If you were to create a custom manual payment method called something like "Pay on collection (local pickup only)", then this would appear as an option on the shopping cart payment page, and customers selecting this would not have to enter a credit card, only a name and address. When I tried this earlier, the completed online order was marked as Local pickup, Unpaid and Unfulfilled. In the POS app, I could then call up the order and select the option to "Collect payment" - which is what you would presumably do when the customer showed up to pick up the order. Having taken payment, I could then mark the order as picked up and fulfilled.

Not sure if that fully addresses your issue(s) - but it might be a start.