POS - barcode doesn't bring up individual item?

LoraineIreland
Excursionist
22 0 35

Wonder if any of you using the Shopify POS system have any ideas on this?  When we scan an item at the till, if it's a variant of a series of that particular product, the whole list of variants appears on-screen.  The issue I have is that our staff can pick the wrong variant off the screen, particularly if they are busy or not paying attention, and the inventory ends up wrong as a result.  Hope I'm making sense.  

Why does the barcode not simply bring that specific/individual item on screen, rather than the list of variants?  

Is there any kind of workaround?  I know I could set each variant up as an individual standalone item but that would make for a rubbish user experience on my website.

Any experience/thoughts greatly appreciated!

Replies 8 (8)

StuartCD
Visitor
2 0 1

We had the same issue a while ago and resolved it. Let me see if I can figure out what we did! 

LoraineIreland
Excursionist
22 0 35

That would be fantastic, thank you!

udayreddy
Tourist
8 0 7

Hi,

Any update on this?

I am also facing the same issue

LoraineIreland
Excursionist
22 0 35

No update from anyone.  I wonder if there's a Shopify POS team who can help?  Off to check..

LoraineIreland
Excursionist
22 0 35

So, I've spent the last hour on with a very nice lady from Shopify POS support, but I feel even more like tearing my hair out.  The first suggestion was to issue a whole bunch of replacement barcodes.  I have THOUSANDS of items, approx 70% are variants (different sizes/colours of the same item), so this is not a remotely practical solution.  In case, if the scanner can't bring up an individual item now, via  the manufacturer's barcode, how would it miraculously manage to do it via a new/alternate barcode.  So, as I say, not a workable solution.  My issue is now "being shared with the developers".  I presume this is code for "you will never hear from us again"?  

So.  Frustrated.  This is such a basic, basic function for a scanner/till system.  Imagine a cashier in Walmart/Tesco having to select which flavour of Doritos to sell from a huge list of options?!

Any input (or even prayers for my poor, frustrated soul) much appreciated!

Danceman1
Excursionist
30 1 8

Sad to hear this - we weren't planning on moving our online website from Miva to Shopify, and DEFINITELY won't now.  I also see now why it treated every product in QBPOS as a stand alone item.  So POS customers can't sell products both in store and online in Shopify when say a Shoe comes in 3 colors, 3 widths and 14 sizes?  And if they do, in store the barcode on a Black size 4M shows all sizes and colors and widths and the clerk has to scroll through dozens of choices to find it?  WOW.

LoraineIreland
Excursionist
22 0 35

Pretty much this.  It works well otherwise, to be fair, but this is a big and basic issue.  The products do need to be grouped by variant online, otherwise it's a poor experience for a customer, but POS should really be able to return the specific item by barcode scanned.

LoraineIreland
Excursionist
22 0 35

Is there anybody out there from Shopify POS Support willing to actually look at this?  The issue is ongoing.  My time spent with a POS support agent amounted to nothing - TBH I didn't feel she even understood the issue, despite copious amounts of sympathy with my situation.  She told me she'd pass it to the POS developers, but... nada