POS - multiple users at same time?

Sjmjune
Tourist
4 0 1

Can two or more people use the Point of Sale features and a card swipes at once?

Example, recent busy night, we wanted to have two checkout locations at the same address to speed up the process. However, only one of us were able to log-in and use the POS system and card swiper at a time. Another example: Selling at the store and at another location as a pop-up on the same day.

Currently using Shopify Basic Plan

Locations maybe?

Or do I need to upgrade my plan?

thanks for any help

Replies 6 (6)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @Sjmjune,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I have just been in touch with our Retail team who have asked for some further context around your situation. If you could please reply to this thread answering the questions below, we will be able to provide you with the most accurate answer to your query:

• Are you using two separate mobile devices and two separate card readers?

• Are the store and the popup separate locations?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Sjmjune
Tourist
4 0 1

1. Are you using two separate mobile devices and two separate card readers?

Me: 2 different answers -

• When working at different locations, I've used two separate mobile devices (both newer iPhones) and two separate card readers (chip and swipe).
    I didn't have any problems using the card reader at my pop-up, but my associate had to manually enter in card info at the shop on the same day
  • The other night we tried 2 separate mobile devices but one card reader.
    Only one of us seemed to be able to connect to the card reader at a time... and eventually neither of us could connect to the reader. Tried shutting everything down, rebooting, logging out. Had to manually enter in card numbers by end of night.

2. Are the store and the popup separate locations?

yes

thanks for helping

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Thanks for proving us further context around your query @Sjmjune.

The Retail team has advised that you can only have one person processing transactions / one card reader connected to the POS app at once, but you can have as many separate POS devices (each with their own card reader connected) at a location at once. This means you could have say, 5 "registers" aka 5 different iPads, each with its own Chipper 2X card reader. With regard to the pop-up question, you'll want to make a new location for that, because the location address is what dictates taxes collected.

Let me know if you have any further questions or want me to clarify anything further!

As you're utilizing a POS channel, you may be curious in learning more from Shopify's own Retail team. I've attached the course below should you be interested:

Sjmjune
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks. We are testing this out again tomorrow.

2 locations, 2 chip readers, same day

I'll post an update.

Appreciate the quick responses.

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

My pleasure @Sjmjune, don't hesitate to reach back out if you require any further assistance as you continue to work on your store!

All the best,

Jezzaron
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Can I tag onto this question and ask whether there is an additional charge to have multiple members of staff on seperate devices in the same shop? 

We are looking to take on the paid EPOS and use it with 3 iPads in store so we can serve multiple customers