Solved

Is a Shopify POS for iMac and desktops on the horizon?

SeaMe
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi, I will be launching our new Shopify store soon and we'll be needing a POS to run three retail stores. While I have an iPad and iPhone, I do not enjoy doing this inventory work/admin on small devices, hence the reason I have an iMac. My boyfriend will be helping with setting up the inventory etc., and this is a real problem for him as he has big (musician) fingers, and he hates these small devices! And he WON'T be able to work on an iPad or phone. So we are now actually going to be forced to look at another POS and forego the seamless functionality that we were hoping for. Is there any plan to make this app available for iMac and desktops in general??? And which other POS options will be reasonably compatible with Shopify? 

Accepted Solution (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@SeaMe 

The Shopify POS hasn't been designed to work on desktop devices yet; however, is something our teams are considering. I can't say if or when that'll become an option, however. Creating a trial to see if the admin and POS will be the best step to take to determine if the POS will meet the needs of your business. I think once you've narrowed down which POS system you wish to use then you'll be able to determine the costs of the hardware and where to locate the hardware. You can find a full list of supported hardware for Shopify POS here. As Shopify Payments is not available for South Africa, you will need to look into a local option to accept credit and debit payments. 

Other POS systems you could consider are VEND or Lightspeed. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@SeaMe 

Great question and congrats on the soon-to-be launch! Shopify POS can't be used on a desktop device. If you're having trouble adding and updating inventory via the POS then I would recommend logging into your Shopify admin directly from your computer as this will help streamline the process. You can find more information on creating products here and information on inventory management here. 

If this isn't what you're after, or if you have further questions then feel free to provide more details on what you're trying to achieve and I'll be happy to look into what options you have. 

SeaMe
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your reply - it does answer my basic question of whether Shopify POS is available for desktop.

As we haven't downloaded it yet we don't know how it will look once integrated with our online store, and how we will access it from the admin side, so I will download the two week trial and then make a decision - but we are looking for a POS that will can open on both a device or computer. I don't understand why the POS, which is an app can't open on an iMac as everything functions through apps nowadays? 
Maybe I'm just not understanding yet how to make this all work together, and in South Africa we also don't have all the dedicated hardware available, so it makes setting this up very tedious, (or costly), and we need something that will be affordable and seamless (if possible)!

Thanks again:)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@SeaMe 

The Shopify POS hasn't been designed to work on desktop devices yet; however, is something our teams are considering. I can't say if or when that'll become an option, however. Creating a trial to see if the admin and POS will be the best step to take to determine if the POS will meet the needs of your business. I think once you've narrowed down which POS system you wish to use then you'll be able to determine the costs of the hardware and where to locate the hardware. You can find a full list of supported hardware for Shopify POS here. As Shopify Payments is not available for South Africa, you will need to look into a local option to accept credit and debit payments. 

Other POS systems you could consider are VEND or Lightspeed. 

BonneVBoutique
Tourist
4 0 6

I think a lot of us would benefit from being able to have one singular place that we do it all at. 

Having a IMac as opposed to a ipad for checkout would seriously be so much easier. 

BillGodwin
Tourist
5 0 11

has this been enabled yet?  The iMac has the capability to run iOS apps now. However, Shopify needs to grant the permission and make some changes. This would be a huge leap forward for the platform.  

flyingfishdiver
Visitor
1 0 7

We use our iMac for so many things in our store and having to use an ipad for our POS is just ridiculous. This should be something that is available on Mac desktop.

brdata
Shopify Partner
50 2 12

If you're looking for a POS solution that works on the PC, Mac, and mobile devices you can try our Sales Terminal POS app available on the Shopify App Store.

$10 per month with a 15 day trial. 

https://apps.shopify.com/sales-terminal