POS reader not connecting - but able to enter card info manually.

Angela_Nielsen
8 0 0

I haven't used the card reader since last year (I think it worked ok then) and needed it for an event this weekend.

The card reader was charged and showing the green light, the App was open on my phone but when I went to Checkout and inserted the card nothing happened. 

I was able to manually enter the card details and complete the sales but reading the card would have been preferable (we get charged a higher rate do we not for manual entry?). 

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

0 Likes
Angela_Nielsen
8 0 0

PS - Just realized there was an update, installing that now.

I will test it and report back.

0 Likes
Angela_Nielsen
8 0 0

Nope - no difference at all.

0 Likes
Penny_Nelson
2 0 0

Angela,  did the update actually happen?  I keep trying to update my card reader and nothing happens.

0 Likes
Angela_Nielsen
8 0 0

I installed the updated version but there was no visible difference so I can't say. 

Hoping someone will come on and give some advice.

0 Likes
Penny_Nelson
2 0 0
Thanks! Me too. Fortunately our next vendor event is the end of June so I
have time to work this out. But I'd love some advice from someone who
really knows.
0 Likes
Zenmaster
Tourist
4 0 5

I am having the same issue.  Card reader is alive and well, and connected.  POS shows it is connected.  But when it is time to take a CC transaction, I have to manually enter the CC number.  The POS wont allow me to use the card reader that is connected.  I have no pending updates.  I did a craft fair yesterday and have day two today and was hoping to troubleshoot so I don't have to manually enter everything...people get weird about it.  But here I am, with no solutions.  Frustrating.

parrishhill
3 0 0

I also had this problem at a festival, the customer got very aggravated waiting for the process and ended up paying in cash *angrily. Really need a fix for this!!

0 Likes
Zenmaster
Tourist
4 0 5

I'm back with an update!  So...if you are successfully paired with your reader, steady green on your card reader and the POS app shows it is connected, then you can swipe.  In the payments screen, the very top should say "insert or swipe card" and then it should say "other payment options" of Cash, manual entry or split payment.  As the end user, it is natural to think that you need to select the payment method and then proceed.  In the case of the POS app, you do not need to select "insert or swipe card".   You just swipe.  If you want to use a different method (cash or otherwise), then you do have to select it...but from that screen, you just swipe.  

Personally, I think they have an opportunity to make it more clear.  But I will admit that I currently feel like an idiot.

0 Likes