Solved

How long until a refunded customer sees their money back?

brittxhdz
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi!

A customer never responded to one of our emails regarding their order, so they were refunded for the full amount last week. 
I just received an email saying they haven’t received the money back in their account.

How long should they wait for the money to get back into their account & Is there any way to show them proof that their refund was processed successfully and there’s no way for me to refund them again on the same order?

They used Shopify Payments to make their purchase.

Accepted Solution (1)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @brittxhdz

This is Rae from the Shopify team. Thanks for posting this question. 

Did you refund this order by following these steps? Additionally, when you open up this particular order from within your Shopify admin and scroll down to the order timeline, do you see a note that confirms the refund? 

If the refund shows that it was processed correctly on your end, the following reasons may be why the customer isn't seeing it in their account yet:

• If the refund was processed within 72 hours of the original charge, it will likely appear as a reversal on the customer's statement. If they're unsure if this happened, they can check with their bank or credit card provider directly. 
  • Refunds can take several business days to process, so I recommend having the customer wait until 10 business days have passed to see if they receive the refund. 

If the refund was processed more than 10 business days ago, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with some next steps to help get this resolved. 

I hope to hear back from you about this soon! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @brittxhdz

This is Rae from the Shopify team. Thanks for posting this question. 

Did you refund this order by following these steps? Additionally, when you open up this particular order from within your Shopify admin and scroll down to the order timeline, do you see a note that confirms the refund? 

If the refund shows that it was processed correctly on your end, the following reasons may be why the customer isn't seeing it in their account yet:

• If the refund was processed within 72 hours of the original charge, it will likely appear as a reversal on the customer's statement. If they're unsure if this happened, they can check with their bank or credit card provider directly. 
  • Refunds can take several business days to process, so I recommend having the customer wait until 10 business days have passed to see if they receive the refund. 

If the refund was processed more than 10 business days ago, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with some next steps to help get this resolved. 

I hope to hear back from you about this soon! 

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @brittxhdz

I wanted to check in with you here to find out if your customer received their refund correctly? 

Please let me know if they're still waiting on this, and I can absolutely help out with some next steps to ensure this gets resolved. 

Thanks!