Shopify for Fine Art Photography Gallery - Need Limited Editions

Steve_Cullen
1 0 0

Aloha-

We are a new fine art photography gallery getting ready to open our first retail gallery on the Big Island of Hawaii.  We are considering Shopify for our POS and ecommerce.  I have not found a viable way to handle some gallery specific capabilities.  Particularly, we need the ability for Shopify to track our Limited Edition prints.  These would be numbered something like 1 through 800.  So, if someone came into the store and wanted to purchase #45/800, would it be possible for Shopify to setup inventory this way?  I understand that I could enter all 800 Limited Editions as a separate SKU but this become unmanageble for 30-40 Limited Edition prints that we may be selling at any particular time.  Most gallery specific inventory/POS software will handle Editions just fine, but it looks like a major work around for Shopify.  Does anyone have any feedback on whether or not this is possible and how big of a work around it might be?

Of course, there are other art gallery specific capabilities we'd want as well like the ability to attach framing options to specific prints...among others.  Let's see if the Limited Edition situation can be tackled and then we'll look at some of the others.  Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.

Steve Cullen

Starscape Gallery

0 Likes
Benjamin_C
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
368 0 42

Hello Steve, Ben here - your Shopify Guru! 

You could do this by creating one product for each work of art then set their inventory quantity to whatever the print run limit is. Say if you will only have 100 prints set the total inventory quantity to 100. 

Then when you are totalling an order you simple add a cart note for the number of print the customer is purchasing. This lets you track the inventory of prints without creating 100 products. 

The other option would be to utilize vaiants of the art work. You can have a maximum of 100 variants per product. So if you have a work of art that will have a print from from 1-200. You could make two products in Shopify like "Name of Work 1-100" and "Name of Work 101-200". You could put these two products in a collection Titled "Name of Work Limited Prints" to make finding all prints associated with that work of art very easy. The nice thing about using vaiants is you can set the inventory to 1 for each print and once it has sold it you won't be able to add it to the cart afterwards. 

Obviously you would replace "Name of Work" with the artworks name. 

The second option would be my recommendation you can make these product only visible on the POS or also visible on an online store. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Cheers,
Ben C - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes