Shopify POS doesn't work if need to control inventory

SGM411
Excursionist
22 0 14

Shopify only offers the option to prevent out of stock items from being purchased online. Regardless of inventory (zero, negative, positive, doesn't matter), any item on the POS sales channel can be purchased thru the POS.

Not having the option to control sales in the POS defeats the purpose linking POS and online sales to the same inventory. 

There are requests for this fix going back to at least 2017 if not before. Shopify's only response is to say that Support Reps will "pass this request along." 

Having staff look at the item details on the POS screen to visually confirm inventory for every single item in a POS purchase is incredibly time consuming (for both customers and staff) not to mention ripe for human error. 

We created an automated collection for just the POS sales channel to only show in-stock items and added that tab to the POS screen...but it's just a list...no search bar (and way to time consuming for staff to scroll thru our huge inventory to ring up customers that way) plus it doesn't handle the UPC scanner anyway.

Anybody got a realistic solution?

And/or any Shopify reps able to provide some real info on the ETA for fixing this?

Replies 5 (5)

Roostcollection
Pathfinder
97 1 91

That would be a great feature. Able to designate inventory for POS vs online.

It is my opinion that Shopify really only concerns themselves with there online platform. POS is just an excuse to get more revenue. They do not and have not spent time in a retail Brick and Mortar.

Here is a graphic of where our comments go!

blackhole.jpg

Ianthegardenguy
Tourist
6 0 3

This is extremely disappointing.  

We are using Shopify as a means to get our small garden center business through the pandemic with curb-side pick up.  We bought a barcode scanner to use with the Shopify POS to track inventory out of the store, (assuming there would be the option to stop selling at zero).  Just yesterday I oversold an item to a disappointed customer realizing it doesn't work.  This renders the barcode scanner and barcode printer which we purchased specifically for this task (as well as the 5 binders of various product barcodes i printed) useless. 

I wasted hours building this tracking system as an easy way for our staff to help facility inventory changes and it's all completely useless.

Unbelievable.

Charlie506
Shopify Partner
60 2 4

Hi @Ianthegardenguy 

EasyScan (https://apps.shopify.com/easyscan-inventory-and-order) could be the perfect solution for you. You can create orders, fulfill orders, check stock levels, and update inventory all with a barcode scanner. 

There is a 10 day free trial or feel free to reach out and I can give you a demo!

Thanks and have a great day!

Charlie

If my comments are helpful, please Like my post and Accept Solution.
Product Manager at 506.io
SGM411
Excursionist
22 0 14

Your comment seem like a cut-n-paste post that's just an ad for your app, and it doesn't seem like you've read this thread or understand our issues since your app does not address them. Spamming Shopify Community threads with advertising thinly veiled as vaguely related "help" sure doesn't make our company want to invest in your product. 

Charlie506
Shopify Partner
60 2 4

Hi @SGM411 

I think that the 'Create Order' or 'Check Inventory' part of EasyScan could be useful in some scenarios. However, after re-reading your original question I agree that there is still a check needed for stock levels at the current location for the 'Create Order' page. I will speak with our development team and look into adding that as a setting as I think it could be useful for others in the future.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Charlie

If my comments are helpful, please Like my post and Accept Solution.
Product Manager at 506.io