Shopify POS Keyboard keeps disappearing since update

Shopify POS Keyboard keeps disappearing since update

DianasmithMH
Visitor
1 0 0

Since we have updated our Shopify App the keyboard keeps disappearing on the POS. 

Replies 10 (10)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

Hey there, @DianasmithMH. Thanks so much for reaching out in the Shopify Community with your POS issue here. I hope you're doing well, and I'm happy to chat with you about this. 

Thanks for giving us a heads up about the keyboard! We've had some reports of this coming in recently, but I'm happy to say that we shipped an update yesterday (version 7.1.0) that should resolve this for you. 

I recommend that you jump into your device's app store and install our latest update (this is the one that would've come out yesterday), as this should solve things for you. If you do install the update, and the issue persist, then confirm you're on the right version (7.1.0) and get back to me here to let me know! 

Regardless of the outcome, I hope that you follow up with me here so I can be kept in the know as to if this resolved things for you or not. 

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JanetStringer
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

Apologies for jumping on here but I have this issue too, I have App 7.1.1 with a keyboard issue. I just get the keyboard bar at the bottom but can’t select the keyboard. 

This works on all of the other apps I have tried. 

Janet

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

Hey there, @JanetStringer. Thanks for joining in on the conversation here! 

Interesting that you're experiencing this error, especially if you're telling us you're using version 7.1.1 of Shopify POS! The keyboard issue should have been resolved with the release of 7.0.1, so I'm curious to see what we can uncover here. 

• Can you tell me what type of device you're using that's having these issues?
  • Can you ensure that your devices operation software is up to date?
  • Can you doublecheck to make sure that there are no pending updates for Shopify POS?
  • If possible, can you share with us a screenshot of this keyboard issue you're experiencing? 

Depending on the information you provide me here, we have a couple routes to go to have things resolved. I'm hoping we can resolve things here together, but if not, we'll lean on the Retail Team for some help! 

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your reply! 

JanetStringer
Visitor
3 0 0

Good Morning, 

Thank you for coming back to me, hopefully everything you need is below:

Can you tell me what type of device you're using that's having these issues?

- I am using an iPad 7th Generation, which is running iOS 15.5. There are no pending updates.

Can you ensure that your devices operation software is up to date?

- There are no pending updates for iOS. 

Can you doublecheck to make sure that there are no pending updates for Shopify POS?

- I have just been trough the App Store and it is saying the Shopify app is up to date. It is on App Version 7.1.2, Build Number 1552.

If possible, can you share with us a screenshot of this keyboard issue you're experiencing? 

- I have attached a photo of the screen, as you can see instead of the keyboard I get a grey bar with three buttons, in other apps on the iPad the grey bar with three buttons gives me word suggestions but also the option to show the keyboard. 

Thank you for your help so far.

Janet

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

Hey there, @JanetStringer. Thanks for getting back to me with all of that additional information! 

Your screenshots were incredibly help. In my experience, that grey bar you're seeing represents Apple's built-in 'QuickType Predictive Keyboard' feature the comes built into Apple's iOS. This would explain why you're seeing these bars in other applications, and not just the POS app. I believe that turning off this functionality will allow you to regain your keyboard functionality in the POS app. The steps to do so come as follows: 

• On your iPad, go to 'Settings'
  • Go to 'Genera', then go to 'Keyboard'
  • Scroll to the bottom of this page and then turn 'Predictive' off

Give these steps a try, and then open up your POS app and let me know if your keyboard is still missing! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your follow up! 

JanetStringer
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi
I did what you said and turned predictive off but as soon as we re-connect the hand bar scanner we loose the keyboard again , we didn’t have any problems before the changes …. Help
Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

Hi again, @JanetStringer. Thanks for following up with me again. 

I appreciate you sharing that new information with me. Did turning off predictive text help before re-connecting the scanner? 

Considering that the issue appears to be arising when connecting hardware to your application, it may be best for you to speak with our Retail Support Team directly so they can help you get this issue resolved. I have a link that you can use to reach out to the team directly here.

Additionally, you can actually find a phone number to contact the Retail Team within your POS app. If you login to the application, and click on the menu that looks like a set of drawers (also known as a hamburger menu), you can find a 'Support' tab within. From there, you can find a support phone number and a retail support email for your convenience. 

I would reach out to the team as soon as you possible so they can take a look into this situation for you.

morrisrojas
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi everyone, 

We have been dealing with this for months and today we realized what is going on, thanks to this thread. 

We use a socket barcode scanner for checking out customers and it works just fine. 

Additionally we use another scanner meant to scan inventory products to be shipped with a 3rd party app in Shopify Admin. When that scanner is on, it messes with the keyboard in POS in our case, as soon as we turn it off our keyboard goes back to normal. 

iPad 9th Gen with all software up to date  

Celinacowboy
Visitor
1 0 0

We are experiencing the same issues too with a 9th generation IPad and have a socket scanner. Has this issue been resolved by Shopify?

PerioPady
Visitor
1 0 0

You can try using an infrared keyboard instead. These keyboards connect to your device wirelessly and can be more reliable than a physical keyboard.