Solved

Can Shopify recognize supplier-specific and UPC/EAN barcodes?

Simon777
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi everyone, apologies if this question has been asked before but I can't find the answer.  🙂

If I have a supplier who has made up their own barcodes meaning they are neither UPC or EAN is there anyway of pulling that into Shopify? Ideally I don't want to issue my own barcodes for all those products when they already have a supplier one. 

As a follow-up to that does Shopify recognise UPC and EAN codes by default or do those products need to be in your database already? 

Thank you!

Accepted Solution (1)

Charlie506
Shopify Partner
60 2 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Simon777 

There is a barcode field for any product or product variant on Shopify, and also a SKU field. 

A SKU (Stock keeping unit) is designed to be a unique code (number, text, or mix of both) to help you track your products.

A Barcode should be a Global Trade Item Number (GTIN). Some sales channels maybe require the correct barcode to list your product. Typically these include UPC, EAN, and ISBN numbers. 

You can find more information from Shopify here - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/details#inventory 

You can definitely add these codes to your products in the barcode field.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in your follow-up question, but yes you would need all products in your inventory to display them.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Charlie

If my comments are helpful, please Like my post and Accept Solution.
Product Manager at 506.io

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Charlie506
Shopify Partner
60 2 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Simon777 

There is a barcode field for any product or product variant on Shopify, and also a SKU field. 

A SKU (Stock keeping unit) is designed to be a unique code (number, text, or mix of both) to help you track your products.

A Barcode should be a Global Trade Item Number (GTIN). Some sales channels maybe require the correct barcode to list your product. Typically these include UPC, EAN, and ISBN numbers. 

You can find more information from Shopify here - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/details#inventory 

You can definitely add these codes to your products in the barcode field.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in your follow-up question, but yes you would need all products in your inventory to display them.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Charlie

If my comments are helpful, please Like my post and Accept Solution.
Product Manager at 506.io
Simon777
Tourist
3 0 2

Thanks Charlie! That's a great help. I think you answered my second question as well. What I was getting at was would Shopify give you the details on any GTIN code you scan regardless of whether you had that as a product in your system.  

From what you have said the product needs to be in Shopify so that clears that up!

Customstore1289
Tourist
224 0 0