URGENT: Printer stopped working with POS 5.35.0 update

Solved
cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

Hi there,

We have two iPads connecting to a Star TSP143IIILANL printer via wifi. Since an update (5.31 I think) one iPad has had a sketchy printer connection but after updating to 5.35.0 won’t print at all.

I’ve tried multiple resets/restarts or the wifi, printer and iPad but no joy - how do we fix this issue?

iPad 6,7 (doesn’t print)

- iOS 12.2

- POS 5.35.0

iPad 4,1 (always prints)

- iOS 12.1.1

- POS 5.30.0

Printer

- Star TSP143IIILANL

We’re starting the biggest home show of the year today so desperately need help sorting this.

Cheers

Ben

Accepted Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

This is an accepted solution.

Deleting and reinstalling the POS app each day is allowing us to print on both iPads.

It's a bit of a painful workaround but deleting the app is obviously resetting something somewhere.

Hopefully that helps someone stuck in this situation.

View solution in original post

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

This is an accepted solution.

Just confirming that deleting/reinstalling the POS app has worked for two days. But as soon as an iPad disconnects from the WIFI network, you have to remove the POS app from that iPad and reinstall or it will never print.

Annoying and it shouldn't be this way but at least we can give customers receipts.

View solution in original post

Replies 34 (34)
cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

We’re dying a slow death out here, any help would be awesome!

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

Did you get this resolved? Checking our test iPad, I see that it's running iOS 12.4.1, and Shopify POS 5.35.0. Getting ready to test printing to our Star TSP143III printer in a moment. It just printed receipts fine.

It is annoying how that either updates or being behind an update can affect hardware connectivity. Haven't seen this in any of our other apps we use in production or in testing...just Shopify POS in conjunction with Apple iOS.

Figured12
Tourist
6 0 2

Our POS system has also been broken with the exact same problem. Both of our terminals and printers have stopped working as of yesterday AM. We have tried resetting everything and they still wont work. PLEASE HELP SHOPIFY

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

...and you've gone into the App Store to ensure that Shopify POS is at the latest version? And also ensured that your iOS is at the latest version? If you've done both of those things and reset the hardware then you definitely have an issue!

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

The iPad which as the latest everything does not work. The other iPad which isn't (POS 5.30.0) works flawlessly. Multiple resets on iPad, printer and router - no Joy.

We're starting day two of the biggest home show of the year and we're a terminal down. Not being able to print may seem minor but customers are impatient.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

That is a big deal. We have an large annual vendor trunk show that's more than huge in terms of queued customers and ringing sales. No receipts would indeed be a big deal! I guess a fallback is e-mailing the customers their copy of the sales receipt. But we too prefer to hand out hard copies and keep a copy for balancing the daily cash as well.

In a pinch I hope there is some form of call-in or chat support available. We don't use Shopify POS in production yet, although we implemented Lightspeed Retail for one of our companies. They have some support options, albeit not the most expeditious at times...

Figured12
Tourist
6 0 2

Yes, our ipads are at the newest OS and newest version of Shopify POS. I called tech support and they mentioned they knew about the problem with the software but have no timeline on fixing it. They also like to hide behind their terms of service claiming this isn't a big deal and that companies should just accept this hiccup.

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

A new 5.36.0 update is available, here's how I got our second terminal working:

- Upgrade the Shopify POS app from the App store

- Shut down the router, printer and iPad

- Wait 1min

- Start the router, wait until the full boot sequence had finished

- Turn on the printer, wait 1min

- Turn on iPad

- Check iPad is connected to router

- Launch Shopify POS

- Go: Store > Hardware and wait for printer to get connected

- Print a test receipt

Hope that helps someone, I did NOT update the iPad to 12.4.1 which is a new update (just released where I am) incase that breaks stuff - don't want to tempt fate!

Cheers

ben

coelmay
Shopify Partner
28 0 7

@cmscss 

Tried your solution. Nothing. Shopify are bringing Video and 3D support, but they can't fix this. Priorities?

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

And have just setup for another pop-up sale and POS no longer prints - same iPad, same iOS version, same Shopify POS version, same router, same printer - literally nothing has changed (all auto-updates are off). Bummer.

iPad 6,7 (doesn’t print)

- iOS 12.2

- POS 5.36.0

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

Are there any updates for is? Our working iPad was unintentionally updated so now we worry we’ll no longer be able to print from any iPads.

We’re setting up Thursday so will reset network connections, delete the POS apps and reinstall and hope - unless anyone has worked out how to fix this.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

What I would expect or at least hope for would be that any new Shopify POS releases are tested internally by Shopify before deployment. Against the latest iOS version. I would imagine that device connectivity quirks would become apparent, right? And along the same lines, if there is an iOS update released by Apple then internally Shopify should test things out. If any device connectivity quirks rear their ugly head then an advisory message should be distributed to the customer base. 

These measures of proactivity could prevent customer confusion, scores of tech support calls/e-mails, etc. Be better for both sides really. Maybe all of this is being done and I'm just out of the loop perhaps...

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

I have a horrible feeling that because POS is now included free with Shopify, they take a lump it or leave it attitude.

We certainly haven't received any help or even acknowledgement of the issue.

Figured12
Tourist
6 0 2
I was told by tech support that they knew of the issue but had no timeline
on a fix. Shopify has pretty terrible customer service considering what
customers pay for the service on an ongoing basis. They also hide behind
their terms of service and think that a large interruption like this to a
business is no big deal.
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

What's a shame is that connectivity alternatives aren't available. For example, the Star TSP100 series receipt printers have a LAN-based option. If they are hardwired on the same private WiFi LAN as the iPads then that's a better connection type. Another example would be the payment terminals. Rather than flaky, inconsistent Bluetooth there are hardwired Ethernet payment terminals. We use Vantiv terminals of this type with Lightspeed Retail and have zero connectivity issues.

These devices are all available, but Shopify POS would need to be modified in order to be able to connect to them.

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

We use the ethernet version of the printer and connect via a router and for a full year it's worked great. I don't understand why its taking so long to fix, it's critical! There's literally no point in continuing development of new features if you can't print a receipt which most customers want.

coelmay
Shopify Partner
28 0 7

In total agreement with @Greg_Kujawa @cmscss and @Figured12 .

I think it reasonable to expect Shopify to come out with a statement "We are aware of an issue printing from the Shopify POS app on iOS to Star Micronics TSP100 printers. We are working on a solution however are unable to say when this issue will be resolved."

But they haven't.

They don't even acknowledge forum threads like this one.

Switching to Square, at least for point of sale, is an option as their iOS app continues to work with our TSP100. And it's free too!

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 222

After testing, the following POS/iOS combinations work/don't work.

DOES PRINT:
- iOS 12.1.4
- POS 5.36.0

DOES NOT PRINT:
- iOS 12.2
- POS 5.36.0

Obviously something in the iOS 12.2 update breaks printing.

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1020 83 262

I have had my test Shopify POS setup sitting idle for a few days and just successfully reprinted an order receipt. iOS version 12.4.1 (which shows as the latest version), Shopify POS 5.36.0 (likewise shows as the latest version), and a Bluetooth Star TSP100III receipt printer.

What will become a bogey is when older iPad models won't accept newer iOS major version upgrades. They will then potentially fall out of compatibility depending on what Shopify POS is putting out there for their updates.

On a side note, for us we plan on having a test environment, so that we can validate functionality after Shopify POS and/or iOS updates. If they fail in testing then we won't prompt for updating in production. Definitely will disable any auto-updates on the iPads. If a retailer doesn't have the luxury of a full test environment then just testing things out on someone's iPhone should fit the bill, right?