Visa Vanilla Cards Not Working at POS

thethrowshop
Excursionist
15 0 16

Anyone else having problems with Visa Vanilla cards not working at pos checkout? We've taken them for years and now suddenly, none work. Even after veryifying the cards' balance myself.

Replies 8 (8)

kg44
Visitor
1 0 0

We cannot accept them either and I have been scouring the internet for an answer on how to accept them. We have lost sales due to this issue and it is so frustrating. 

kerry81378
Not applicable
1 0 1

I am trying to report this to them now as this is horrible. We have turned away at least 10 sales in the past 5 days because we cannot accept the card. I don't remember having an issue in the past.

thethrowshop
Excursionist
15 0 16

Nothing from them yet?

CSGS14
Visitor
1 0 0

Same issue as well.  Here is the response I received when I reached out:

So, I want to give you a bit of background on this one. Long story short, Shopify Payments (your payment gateway) is totally able to process all sorts of gift cards, however, we can't provide a 100% guarantee that they will be successful.

Now, the reason for this is because the vast majority of these cards actually have the ability to have a zip code/billing address attached to them, and it's up to the card holder to fill out those details. In other words, your customer should definitely register the card (and their address) with the gift card provider directly. Also, this is just one of the many reasons pre-paid cards might not function as expected all the time.

With all that said, in your case, there's one other thing you could do to cover all your bases. If you head to your Shopify Admin -> Settings -> Payments -> Manage (across from Shopify Payments) and scroll to the Fraud Prevention section, you will find some options to decline charges. Basically, with those options selected, any card that doesn't have a postal code/zip code attached with be declined. Check it out:

It was emphasized that Shopify can not guarantee the payment will be successful and to encourage the customer to contact the card's information # for further assistance if the problem persists. 

thethrowshop
Excursionist
15 0 16

So their reply to you is total BS since my settings have those boxes checked off (it's also POS not online) and I am still having this issue. Plus, they haven't even gotten back to me yet after over a week. Sounds like they have NO idea.

Kelley_Pittman
Tourist
9 0 3

Us too - 2 cards this week we either have to turn them away or we keep Square as a backup in case any readers go down and run it through our Square reader and works fine. 

thethrowshop
Excursionist
15 0 16

Have they given you any updates? They basically blamed Visa and said they don't plan to do a thing about it. 

Absolutelee123
Shopify Partner
15 1 88

One of our staff found a workaround to get some of these charges to work at POS.  Basically, Shopify can't tell how much is on the card, so if you charge over the card amount, it declines.  If you get the exact balance for the card, and charge $0.01 UNDER the balance, it should go through.