Will a USA Shopify Card Reader Work in Europe?

Solved

Will a USA Shopify Card Reader Work in Europe?

NikkiPickle
Visitor
2 0 0

I'm in a touring band and I run our merch website from Shopify. If I take our USA-based Shopify card reader to Europe with us on tour, will it work for swiping European customer's credit cards? Would this also work if we tour to any other countries like Australia or Mexico? Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @NikkiPickle. Thanks for coming to the Shopify Community with your question about our Card Readers!

You have a really good question here, and I'm happy to provide you some information around it. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use a card reader you've purchased for use in one country within another. This is because the reader must match with your Shopify Store's currency, location, and POS location. We have a document that goes over a use case for this here.

As an example, if a merchant in Canada buys a Canadian Tap & Chip reader, this will only work within the borders of Canada, processing CAD listed items, and will not process transactions if they attempt to take it to another country and process payments.

If you want to use Shopify POS while touring, you would want to do the following: 

• Purchase a card reader from the correct Hardware Store to the region you are travelling to
  • Register a new Shopify store with a physical location in the region you are travelling to
  • Set your POS store location to the region you are traveling to.

Alternatively, you could set up a 'custom payment method' in your POS app, and use a third party reader and processor for payments made in Europe. You can find steps on how to do this in this document here.

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @NikkiPickle. Thanks for coming to the Shopify Community with your question about our Card Readers!

You have a really good question here, and I'm happy to provide you some information around it. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use a card reader you've purchased for use in one country within another. This is because the reader must match with your Shopify Store's currency, location, and POS location. We have a document that goes over a use case for this here.

As an example, if a merchant in Canada buys a Canadian Tap & Chip reader, this will only work within the borders of Canada, processing CAD listed items, and will not process transactions if they attempt to take it to another country and process payments.

If you want to use Shopify POS while touring, you would want to do the following: 

• Purchase a card reader from the correct Hardware Store to the region you are travelling to
  • Register a new Shopify store with a physical location in the region you are travelling to
  • Set your POS store location to the region you are traveling to.

Alternatively, you could set up a 'custom payment method' in your POS app, and use a third party reader and processor for payments made in Europe. You can find steps on how to do this in this document here.

MaksSLP
Visitor
2 0 0

So if I go to vendor events (location London, my currency store GBP). And some of my visitors will be from (for example) Germany they can't buy my product by a card reader?

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1884 211 337

Hey there, @MaksSLP. Thanks for joining in on our thread here.

This is going to depend on where your card reader was purchased to function in. If you bought the reader to work in the UK, and you use GBP for your Shopify Paymants account, then it will work at a vendor event in the UK. Along with this, customers from anywhere using a payment method you can process in your store will be able to complete their purchase, regardless of where they're from. 

Are you planning on attending an event and expect customers from out of country to be attending? I'd love to hear about what you've got planned for your business.

MaksSLP
Visitor
2 0 0

Sean_Rhorer
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Revisiting this thread with a follow-up question... 

If you have a store setup with location in Germany, for example, would that store be able to accept payments via a reader or the Tap-To-Pay option on compatible devices in other EU countries, such as France or The Netherlands?

Thanks!

Victoria
Shopify Staff
2274 154 262

Hi, @Sean_Rhorer.

Thanks for joining the thread!

Could you clarify if you're referring to Tap to Pay on iPhone? If so, Tap to Pay on iPhone is available for stores based in the United States with a store currency set to USD. You can find more information in our Help Center resource

To accept in-person POS payments in multiple countries, you must create a separate Shopify store and Shopify Payments account for each additional country

Victoria | Shopify