FROM CACHE - en_header

503 error on 2019-10 REST api for inventory update

sgm407
Tourist
4 0 1

Getting this error:

Run:Shopify: Synch Inventory was run on 9/8/2021 11:15:00 AM
Duration:00:00:04.8436563
Message(s):Synch Inventory: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.

Seems to be inconsistent service on Shopify side.

Shopify Support strangely suggested that Shopify would consider fixing this if we posted a message here...

Reply 1 (1)
GrahamS
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
193 36 49

Hello @sgm407 ,

503s are an uncommon issue, however we do see them from time to time. In my experience, the most common reason behind an app encountering 503s is due to a throttle being applied. 

API calls are subject to rate-limiting, which means that only a certain amount of requests can be processed per minute. If an app attempts to exceed the rate maximum, or starts to exhibit bot-like behaviour, the IP/app can have a temporary throttle applied and the requests will be blocked from the server, resulting in a 503.

I would strongly recommend approaching your app developer and have them review their call rate. If the issue is intermittent rather than constant, and the error is 503, then it's a strong likelihood that their issue is automated temporary throttles on their app. They should be able to resolve this by reducing the call rate where necessary.

Best,

Graham

Graham S | API Support @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog