[Admin API - Orders] Update billing address

Silvia_Tejera
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi. I need to update the billing address programmatically in every order. I'm using this call:

PUT https://pruebasil2.myshopify.com/admin/orders/66662858779.json

{"order":{"id":"66662858779","billing_address":{"first_name":"ClickCanarias S.L.","address1":"Calle Triana 60 3A","phone":"","city":"Las Palmas de Gran Canaria","zip":"35002","province":"Las Palmas","country":"Spain","last_name":"_","company":"ClickCanarias S. L.","name":"ClickCanarias S. L.","country_code":"ES","province_code":"GC"}}}

It responds 200 OK. But nothing is changing.

When I use "shipping_address" instead of billing_address everything goes well.

I have also tried adding a new customer address and changing the default address for this costumer, but it doesn't change in the order.

Replies 6 (6)

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

Hi there,

Currently, the billing address can't be updated by any means. If changing the billing address on orders is crucial to your records, you will need to create new hisotriocal orders through the order API with the updated address.

Cheers,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Andrew-W
Shopify Partner
27 3 14

@Busfox - Is this still not possible through API? A client is taking orders through the POS app and thus don't have a billing address, which they need for their accounting software. Is there another way to do it?

Busfox
Shopify Staff (Retired)
628 49 110

Hi @Andrew-W,

Once an order is created, the billing address field is immutable. This is still the case today. You could add this information to a metafield or note. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Andrew-W
Shopify Partner
27 3 14

Thanks @Busfox - I thought that might be the case, just wanted to be sure. The client is using POS for phone orders you see, hence wanting billing addresses in there. I'll see what else can be done. 🙂

JesperT
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Shopify, 

I know that this is an old discussion, however, with the introduction of GPDR in the EU it is still very relevant. Being able to redact billing information of an order is important (if one does not want to delete the order all together). 

Can you elaborate on what is meant with "Create new hisotriocal [sic] orders through the order API"?

Best, 

Jesper

BenjieMalinao
Tourist
5 0 1

Any updates to the last question? I am interested to know too.