Solved

[ALERT]: Server External ID Not Matching to Pixel External ID for ViewContent Event

Andrew_Sihan
Tourist
4 0 5

Why I am receiving this alert and how I fix it?

Conversion API (FACEBOOK) was implemented through the partner Shopify, not manual.

Andrew_Sihan_0-1623997364631.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Boldmovestudio
Visitor
1 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Hi folks,

I've managed to get rid of the error by doing a combination of two things in the Events Manager settings:

1. Turn on External ID in the Automatic Advanced Matching section
  2. Add Shopify as a Connected Partner in the Conversion API section 

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 9.50.11 AM.png

View solution in original post

Replies 31 (31)

Jeff211
Tourist
7 0 5

I am having the same issue. All of a sudden on June 15 Shopify started sending server side events to the Facebook Conversion API, duplicating our FB Pixel data and introducing a bunch of errors. Hoping we get some resolutions ASAP, our conversions took a big hit.

Server External ID Not Matching to Pixel External ID for ViewContent Event

Server Sending Invalid Match Key Parameters for ViewContent Event

Server Sending Invalid Match Key Parameters for AddToCart Event

AddPaymentInfo Event Missing Some Deduplication Parameters

Terrelerose
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you ever find a solution? i really need help.

FrozenFunnels
Visitor
2 0 0

Please tell whether your issue have been now solved or not?
I began running ad for my client and got same issue?
Is this really affecting the ad campaign?

sarahtatham
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am experiencing the same and also used the Shopify partner integration.

pachio92
Visitor
1 0 0

hi guys, same problem here, do you solved in some way?

HändigDesign
Visitor
1 0 0

Same problem here. Would love to have this fixed asap.

KuznetsEnvy
Shopify Partner
38 0 10

We're having a similar issue (see attached screenshot).
We did set up FB Conversion API with native Shopify Facebook sales channel.
Please help us understand the problem and resolve it.

Screenshot_2021-06-24_at_23_14_02.jpg

Jeff211
Tourist
7 0 5

Hi everyone, I found out what's going on here.

When Facebook updated their API a couple weeks ago, it caused us to start seeing this error. I've been told by a Shopify rep that Facebook has pushed out a fix to resolve the error. However, this error is not related to the problems we're having with missing events and poor conversions.

The same Facebook API update that caused the error also implemented additional filtering that rejects events from iOS 14.5+ users who have not opted-into tracking. This is by design.

cckk
8 0 0

Is there any update on this? It's July 12th and we're still seeing this error in our FB account regarding shopify

StrategeryLLC
Visitor
3 0 0

Yes I also have this issue as well, and I need a resolution. Is this a Shopify issue or a Facebook, or both. 

StrategeryLLC
Visitor
3 0 0

When you say "This is by design" do you mean that these errors are expected, and meant to make "the community" try and force apple from removing the opt-in?

Jeff211
Tourist
7 0 5

No, I mean that the errors are irrelevant, the errors are benign and not related to any of the performance issues we're seeing. The discarded events that are hurting Facebook's ability to track conversions and wrecking our ads are being discarded by Facebook on purpose in order to comply with Apple's policies. Has nothing to do with the External ID errors.

These errors are annoying and supposedly shouldn't be showing up anymore, but they aren't actually harmful.

StrategeryLLC
Visitor
3 0 0

Thanks for the quick response to this. I was brought in by a client to try and help resolve errors he was seeing on behalf of his client. So I am coming to this looking for a solution, but unfortunately I don't have a ton of ground-level knowledge of the platform. 

What you're saying, if I understand is that these errors can be disregarded and are unavoidable due to the new iOS opt-out mechanisms?

Jeff211
Tourist
7 0 5

No, the errors have nothing to do with iOS 14.5 except that they happened to start appearing at the same time as an update to the API. If they are ALSO having problems with tracking conversions, then yes, that's from iOS 14.5 opt-outs, but not related to these errors. A lot of people in this thread are conflating the two because of the timing.

Here is what Shopify support had to say:

Our developers and the team at Facebook have definitely noticed a large increase in these errors, and it appears to be due to an updated implementation in Facebook's CAPI version 2.

We have heard back from Facebook, and they have noted that these errors will not be impacting Pixel performance on your store. As well - they have notified us that Facebook has removed the new instances of this error related to External ID not matching. Can you please review your Facebook Pixel, and let us know if you're seeing any new instances of this error? The error may still exist historically in the data of your Pixel, but going forward Facebook has mitigated this issue.

Alex666x
Visitor
2 0 0

Yep i recieved that error yesterday image_2021-07-19_123925.png

Terrelerose
Visitor
2 0 0

did you ever find a solution? i really need help.

blackasus
Visitor
2 0 0

Did anyone find a Soluton yet?

Derelicte
Excursionist
33 1 4

I just started having this issue this week 😞

Benny2002002002
Tourist
8 0 4

I have no issue. Contact Facebook ad manager and shopify they will get it fix for you . But the sales has declined tremendously since a few days ago I don’t know if it is related to this. 

Derelicte
Excursionist
33 1 4

Yeah my sales seemed to be low all week too until I finally saw these errors today and it said it first noticed the error 6 days ago. 

filipcibicek
Excursionist
23 0 11

THE SAME **bleep**!NG ERROR IS STILL POPPING UP FOR HALF A YEAR NOW.. HOW DOES NO ONE GIVE A SHIT? WHY DO I NEED TO SCRAPE THESE UNDERGROUND SHOPIFY THREADS WITH 6 REPLIES. F!CK'S SAKE...

iasilkan
Tourist
13 0 1

iam  solved. 

Event Manager > settings > Advanced Matching >Show Options >Open External Id 

Spartanc
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi all,

I start to have this problem 2 days ago. 

I tried: Event Manager > settings > Advanced Matching >Show Options >Open External Id (actually it's always on) before I had the problem.

Anyone has updates on fixing this problem please share.

Thanks!

Derelicte
Excursionist
33 1 4

I even reached out to Facebook customer service they referred me to reach out to the Facebook developer page to hire a developer to fix it for me since it would require code. I found only one developer on the Facebook developer referral page whos descriptions seemed to match this issue and I messaged them 3 times and never got a response. These error messages in my Facebook ads manager seem to go away and come back, go away, and come back. 

MORE10
Excursionist
33 1 8

Do we have any fix to this problem?

usamakhalid2003
Visitor
1 0 0

do it effect your ads ?

Boldmovestudio
Visitor
1 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Hi folks,

I've managed to get rid of the error by doing a combination of two things in the Events Manager settings:

1. Turn on External ID in the Automatic Advanced Matching section
  2. Add Shopify as a Connected Partner in the Conversion API section 

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 9.50.11 AM.png

MORE10
Excursionist
33 1 8

Great you find something’s  that works. Do u get full analyzed allso? 

Yurii_K2
Tourist
4 0 1

If you use automatic built-in integration Shopify with Facebook, then the incorrect value of the parameter content_ids passes to the Pixel. So you can see the issue.

Solution - to turn off automatic built-in integration Shopify with Facebook, to take the application for creating a feed for Facebook Catalog (for exampledatafeedwatch), install the Google Tag Manager (GTM), and manually set up the correct transfer value of parameters to Facebook Pixel using dataLayer and javaScript.

This is the only solution to this mistake that I know of.

TomFolks
Visitor
1 0 0

Could you explain it with more details please?

FrozenFunnels
Visitor
2 0 0

Andrew, hi. Please tell whether your issue have been now solved or not?
I began running ad for my client and got same issue?
Is this really affecting the ad campaign?