Best way to post duplicate information

Solved
mbsmclemore
3 0 1

Hi All, 

We are starting to put a small blurb on product pages that is unique to each product line, such as what inspired the design of that product line. It's currently posted on each product page, but I would like to look into using javascript or something else to have a single file/instance so that I don't get dinged by crawler. Advice appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4215 303 902

This is an accepted solution.

@mbsmclemore there's different solutions for this type product info depending on where you want to keep this info (metafield, pages, translation).

1. put a specific blurb in the individual product descriptions
  2. put all the blurbs in the individual product descriptions and use theme customization to parse and display the specific blurb for specific products.
  3. customize your theme to use a conditionals to display the blurb based on a flag (a tag or a metafield) pulling from where you stored the info(metafield, pages,translation)
  4. Use metafield definitions(either a text field or page reference) on a per product basis, and a theme customization to display that info for themes that don't have support yet.
  5. make alternate templates that have the blurb hardecoded in the template for those specific groups products in a product-line using the same info
Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4215 303 902

This is an accepted solution.

@mbsmclemore there's different solutions for this type product info depending on where you want to keep this info (metafield, pages, translation).

1. put a specific blurb in the individual product descriptions
  2. put all the blurbs in the individual product descriptions and use theme customization to parse and display the specific blurb for specific products.
  3. customize your theme to use a conditionals to display the blurb based on a flag (a tag or a metafield) pulling from where you stored the info(metafield, pages,translation)
  4. Use metafield definitions(either a text field or page reference) on a per product basis, and a theme customization to display that info for themes that don't have support yet.
  5. make alternate templates that have the blurb hardecoded in the template for those specific groups products in a product-line using the same info
Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
mbsmclemore
3 0 1

Thank you Paul. #3 is what I was looking to do as I've done it on other platforms. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a special "Shopify way" I wasn't aware.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4215 303 902

By 2022 theme support should be good enough for metafield-definition features that it will probably be the "Shopify way"  , IF by that time new CMS features haven't also rolled out that is.