FROM CACHE - en_header

billing api covers what?

Solved
AceBlazer
Excursionist
28 2 1

So i'm trying to post my app in the shopify store, i was rejected because i charge merchants in my website (other service than the app itself) so they told me to add billing api even if the app itself is free.

So i'm asking what to put in billing api? the billing plans of my website? or the additional charge that shopify gets from merchants using my app? 

i have 4 plans: one is free and 3 other recurring plans, how do i add them (shopify only allows one recurring charge)?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Mind_Yer_Websit
Shopify Partner
13 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there

Just to check I understand correctly, so you have a paid service which users sign up for via your website, and you want to make this available via a Shopify app?

I cant say 100%, but I think it depends on the functionality of the app, as to if/what you need to include in billing.

If you are including actual functionality with in the app, so users go into the app and perform some form of action, Shopify generally want you to bill with the billing API.

If you have an external service, and the app is essentially a way of connecting into the store to performs syncs etc, I think you can get way with not needing the billing API. 

As I say, this is just my observation, and could be completely wrong.

---

If Shopify are asking you to use the Billing API, it sounds like the app is performing actions within the app.

From that, I would say that yes, you need to include all the billing plans on your website. As you say, the API only allows for one plan. What you generally do is sign the user up on the free plan, then once the app is installed, you show them a screen to update to one of the other ( paid ) plans. This can be handled in multiple ways though.

The customer can only be on a single plan at once, but you can show them multiple plans from within your app, and they choose which they would like to go with

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Mind_Yer_Websit
Shopify Partner
13 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there

Just to check I understand correctly, so you have a paid service which users sign up for via your website, and you want to make this available via a Shopify app?

I cant say 100%, but I think it depends on the functionality of the app, as to if/what you need to include in billing.

If you are including actual functionality with in the app, so users go into the app and perform some form of action, Shopify generally want you to bill with the billing API.

If you have an external service, and the app is essentially a way of connecting into the store to performs syncs etc, I think you can get way with not needing the billing API. 

As I say, this is just my observation, and could be completely wrong.

---

If Shopify are asking you to use the Billing API, it sounds like the app is performing actions within the app.

From that, I would say that yes, you need to include all the billing plans on your website. As you say, the API only allows for one plan. What you generally do is sign the user up on the free plan, then once the app is installed, you show them a screen to update to one of the other ( paid ) plans. This can be handled in multiple ways though.

The customer can only be on a single plan at once, but you can show them multiple plans from within your app, and they choose which they would like to go with