BUG - SKU Can't Be Blank - Rest Api Put Error

Jason27
Shopify Partner
107 3 38

Getting this error very rarely. Happens on updating metafields and description alone (separate calls). Looks like a real bug and needs to be fixed...

422 / Unprocessable Entity / {"sku":["can't be blank"]} /PUT /admin/products/4454726828086.json

x-request-ids:

7cc1ad1e-2398-40d0-9532-27c7718a5558

af09ee9c-8100-4477-8e3d-f4068497fc1e

413d46bb-0d5e-452e-8ca1-c6bf192e558e

Replies 7 (7)

hassain
Shopify Staff (Retired)
624 104 187

Hi @Jason27 ,

Thanks for providing the X-Request-ID, that was helpful.

The reason why these errors are being thrown is because this specific Product (ID: 4454726828086) has invalid Product Variants associated to it due to their blank skus. Due to these invalid Product Variants with blank SKUs, you cannot make any updates tp this specific Product with PUT requests until these Variants and their issues are resolved.

There are approximately 20 of these invalid Product Variants associated to the Product ID 4454726828086, and they just need to be updated so the SKU goes from "" (e.g. blank) to an actual string value.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Jason27
Shopify Partner
107 3 38

Hi Hassan, thanks for getting back to me. I think the logical next questions are:

Why and how are these SKU's missing on this specific merchants product(s)?

I don't see this error with thousands of other merchants.

Do I need to check for blank SKU's on each product variant from now on because if there are blank SKU's the update (PUT) will fail - even when the update array does not include variants !?

Why is this allowed to happen in the API?

This seems like a bug to me, not something I should have to think about, especially since there is no way for me to figure out what a blank SKU value is meant to be, so I can't fill it in either. I think you should pass it up the chain.

hassain
Shopify Staff (Retired)
624 104 187

Hi @Jason27 ,

Why and how are these SKU's missing on this specific merchants product(s)?

If you are not the shop owner yourself, you will have to reach out to merchant and ask them why they created invalid Product Variants for their store without any SKU numbers. 

I don't see this error with thousands of other merchants.

Probably because most merchants do not create invalid Product Variants that do not have SKU numbers

Do I need to check for blank SKU's on each product variant from now on because if there are blank SKU's the update (PUT) will fail - even when the update array does not include variants !?

No. If you get the error message " {"sku":["can't be blank"]} " when you are trying to update a product you will know that this error happened because there was a blank SKU present. You should be able to easily catch/throw this error in your app, and then reach out to the merchant to have this issue resolved.

Why is this allowed to happen in the API?

Most likely this did not happen in the API - the merchant most likely created these invalid Product Variants in their store's Web Admin and while creating them they set/left the SKU blank

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

___END___
Excursionist
25 1 6

If you are not the shop owner yourself, you will have to reach out to merchant and ask them why they created invalid Product Variants for their store without any SKU numbers. 

Since when are merchants required to create SKUs for a product or product variant? Many do not. Check your database, there must be millions of records with no SKU.

If a merchant does not use SKUs it is a bit ridiculous to tell them to change their business process to use SKUs just because of the API design. 

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
891 23 171

I'm having this error suddenly. But my apps are used by more than 100 merchants. Why is it happening? This is the first one I get. There is no issue for other users

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview

KristapsT
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hello. We are facing the same issue as well when we try to set SKU for variants using API. As this is not a mandatory field in Shopify, some of our customers do not add this, so it's a valid scenario. Having these SKUs is required for us so that we can set us as a fulfillment service for this product. Are there any plans on fixing this? So that we would not have to reach out to our customers asking them to manually fix these variants. Thanks in advance!

itsgookit
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

I found it is only happens on REST API, if you use GraphQL API then it is fine. 😞