Creating and completing order on behalf of customer

Solved
SD5
2 0 0

We want to use the API to automatically place and complete order for a customer without their intervention.  We need this for customers that want to have our system automatically order refills for them when something is running low.  Is this type of automatic ordering through the API possible?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Ryan
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
497 42 117

This is an accepted solution.

There is no way for you to charge a customer through Shopify payment methods without the customer approving it unfortunately.

Ryan | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)
oscprofessional
Shopify Partner
11500 1804 2307

Hello 

Create Order using Below Admin API
POST /admin/api/2019-10/orders.json

{
      "order": {
      "email": "foo@example.com",
      "fulfillment_status": "fulfilled",
      "send_receipt": true,
      "send_fulfillment_receipt": true,
      "line_items": [
        {
         "variant_id": 457924702,
         "quantity": 1
        }
       ]
   }
}

For Details Reffer below link you can get all API
https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/orders/order#create-2019-10

https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/shipping-and-fulfillment/fulfillment#create-2019-10

Please Like and Accept Solution. Free website audit to grow your business Chat on WhatsApp | Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com | Skype : oscprofessionals-87 | Hire us | Expert Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development & Modifications any Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO | Digital Marketing
SD5
2 0 0
Thank you for the reply. In my original question I forgot to mention the payment piece. Is it possible to process a Shopify payment for the customer on their behalf during this process as well? We want to automate the entire order process including charging the customer, assuming they have made payments before through our store. We want this charge to happen through the APIs without customer intervention.
Ryan
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
497 42 117

Hi @SD5,

Only Sales channels with explicit Shopify permissions are able to process payments for customers in Shopify if that is what you mean.  You would be able to create a draft order, and then mark it as paid if the payment was already made though.  Is this a case where they have already paid? Or you want to charge their card again through Shopify?

Ryan | Shopify 

Cyril2
3 0 0

This is for the case where they haven't paid. 

Its for an automatic ordering feature that will run behind the scenes without the customers intervention.  Once the customer runs low on certain items in our store we want to use the shopify API to automatically create the order, charge their card and complete the order without the customer having to do anything.

Ryan
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
497 42 117

This is an accepted solution.

There is no way for you to charge a customer through Shopify payment methods without the customer approving it unfortunately.

Ryan | Shopify 

Cyril2
3 0 0

Ok, thank you!

no_spoon
4 0 0

Has there been any update to this since 2019? Are admins still unable to create payments on behalf of customers? What if admins need to take phone orders?

Also, the docs suggest that this is a standard use case through creating Draft Orders (https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/create-orders#accept-payment). 

jahbrewski
Excursionist
20 0 11

I know this is old, but I'm wondering about a similar situation. Is this also the case for apps that have been approved as sales channels?

i.e. is there an API available to sales channels allowing the posting of a behind-the-scenes charge to a customer?

Joel Brewer