Solved

Customer redact for customers with yearly subscriptions

ericute
Shopify Partner
57 4 7

Hi, everyone.

I'm trying to implement the mandatory webhook: customers/redact. (https://shopify.dev/apps/webhooks/mandatory#customers-redact). Here is a snippet from when this will be triggered:

If the customer hasn't placed an order in the past six months, then Shopify sends the payload 10 days after their request. Otherwise, the request is withheld until six months have passed.

What if the customer hasn't placed an order in the past six months, but has a yearly subscription? Will Shopify check this first before sending the customers/redact webhook? Or should we add a handling for this in our app?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @ericute 

Good question! It resulted in some internal dialogue amongst us at Shopify. 

So presently we gate a redaction request based on the "has the customer ordered something within the last 6 months" rule, and thus the customers/redact fires based on that rule.

At present, the logic is not checking for active subscriptions at the moment when customer/redact fires.  We're looking into adding this, because reasonably a customer with an active subscription should be treated like an active customer.

I can't offer an ETA on that unfortunately just now, so it may be best to add handling for that. Hope that helps at least clear things up for the meantime!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @ericute 

Good question! It resulted in some internal dialogue amongst us at Shopify. 

So presently we gate a redaction request based on the "has the customer ordered something within the last 6 months" rule, and thus the customers/redact fires based on that rule.

At present, the logic is not checking for active subscriptions at the moment when customer/redact fires.  We're looking into adding this, because reasonably a customer with an active subscription should be treated like an active customer.

I can't offer an ETA on that unfortunately just now, so it may be best to add handling for that. Hope that helps at least clear things up for the meantime!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!