FROM CACHE - en_header

Embedded app working on Prod and Dev simultaneously

Solved
redareda9
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hi, 

I'm building an embedded Shopify app and so far everything went well while developing locally. After deploying to a server, it's working as well. However I have to change the "App URL" field in the settings before I can switch from my app working in Prod to Dev. Now that the app doesn't have any users, it's not a big deal but once the app will have users, I will not be able to change from PROD to Dev or it'll break the prod. 

Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 14.14.57.png

Is it possible for an embedded app to be working on Prod and Dev environments without changing App Url in Partner settings?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
L_J_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
402 64 87

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @redareda9 

I would actually seperate the dev and prod environments - you create a separate test instance of the app in your partner dashboard and point it to a dev App URL. That would allow you to work on a standalone Dev instance, and make changes, test them out etc, safe in the knowledge you will not break your production instance. 

You could create a Development store(documentation) if you wish to just test the dev app out in a Development store environment too. Hope that helps!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)
L_J_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
402 64 87

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @redareda9 

I would actually seperate the dev and prod environments - you create a separate test instance of the app in your partner dashboard and point it to a dev App URL. That would allow you to work on a standalone Dev instance, and make changes, test them out etc, safe in the knowledge you will not break your production instance. 

You could create a Development store(documentation) if you wish to just test the dev app out in a Development store environment too. Hope that helps!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
redareda9
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Thanks.

That's what I was thinking of doing. I already use a dev store but it doesn't help as it redirect to the current APP URL in the embedded app. 
So I won't have any other choice than building a second app for dev purposes.