Fulfillable Quantity in human terms

HorseCowboy
Shopify Partner
57 0 16

Fulfillment LineItems have a property called `fulfillable_quantity` with the following description:

• The amount available to fulfill. This is the quantity - max (refunded_quantity, fulfilled_quantity) - pending_fulfilled_quantity - open_fulfilled_quantity.

1. Can someone explain that in human terms?

2. What is the definition of each of those properties?

3. How do they come together to represent "Fulfillable Quantity"?

Check out why Shopify store owners are switching to Horse for all of their inventory management needs.
Replies 2 (2)
HorseCowboy
Shopify Partner
57 0 16

Well, I understand part of it now.

So an order comes in with a single variant bought. The customer bought 4. So 4 need to be fulfilled (shipped).

Then let's say the order is shipped in 4 boxes.

1 box arrives. It is delivered. It is fulfilled. fulfilled_quantity = 1

1 box is in transit. I think that means it is pending. pending_fulfilled_quantity = 1

1 box hasn't yet been shipped. The shipped (maybe your warehouse) has the order, they will be shipping it soon, but not yet. open_fulfilled_quantity = 1

So at this point fulfillable_quantity is 1 because 1 still needs to be shipped. 4 -1 - 1 - 1 = 1.

THEN, the customer cancels everything. refunded_quantity = 4.

The arrived box still remains fulfilled. The fulfillment status is success. Can't take that away. fulfilled_quantity = 1

The pending one is cancelled I guess. pending_fulfilled_quantity = 0

And the one the warehouse was preparing to ship is cancelled also. open_fulfilled_quantity = 0.

So at this point fulfillable_quantity is 0 because 0 need to be shipped. 4 - max(4,1).

I think the reason for this complication is that a fulfillment can be cancelled up until the point that it is delivered. So while pending_fulfilled_quantity and open_fulfilled_quantity can go to 0, fulfilled_quantity can't. So you don't want to count refunds and fulfilled twice.

BUT,

What if the customer orders 4, then they cancel 3? fulfillable_quantity = 3. 4 - 3 = 1.

Then the store fulfills the last 1. And it arrives. fulfilled_quantity = 1.

So at this point, fulfillable_quantity should equal 0, but by the formula 4 - max(3,1) = 1...?!

Check out why Shopify store owners are switching to Horse for all of their inventory management needs.
oshopping
1 0 1

Completely agree with you @HorseCowboy! The formula doesn't make sense if some items have been refunded and some items have been fulfilled. I don't understand why the formula isn't just: 

quantity - refunded_quantity - fulfilled_quantity - pending_fulfilled_quantity - open_fulfilled_quantity

And then just make the minimum value of fulfillable_quantity equal to zero, so that it can never be negative, as would happen if, taking @HorseCowboy's example, all items have been refunded but one was already fulfilled.

Would appreciate some clarity on this, and whether @HorseCowboy's example really would lead to a false fulfillable_quantity.