Getting item/product by SKU using REST API

justinphull
Tourist
9 0 1

I did a search before posting and I did not find what I was looking for in this subject.

What I would like to do is be able to look up an item/product by it's SKU where I can then get the item ID for doing things like change available QTY or pricing.  At the moment we are not planning or able to store off an item id/sku cross reference table.

I've look at the the Product API options and while there was a product ID get, no SKU.  Short of pulling down a list every time I run the program getting specific fields I was hoping there was a better way to lookup by SKU.

Edit:  I should add that this is for a back end ERP system and maintaining a cross reference table adds complexity and we really cannot change Item Master tables in the system.

Replies 3 (3)

samc
Excursionist
32 1 25
justinphull
Tourist
9 0 1

Alas I am building a process in c#.  GraphQL looks interesting, but not in my wheel house at the moment.  It seems the Shopify only cares about internal id's with their REST API which is a bother since it requires a customer to keep an index of not just product/items, but orders as well since there is no look up by external order number, just the internal id.

Thank you for the reply.

samc
Excursionist
32 1 25

There's a lot of limitations with the REST API interface that's better addressed in GraphQL. But yeah, I agree Shopify seems to invest more engineering resource on improving GraphQL functionalities than adding them to REST API, which is unfortunate.