GraphQL Philosophy Question

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4743 54 545

My scenario is one of wanting to know the availability of an SKU at each location. My target shop has 20 locations. They have a few thousand products. Each product has from 5 to 100 variants. GraphQL exposes the new InventoryItem and InventoryLevels to satisfy cravings for this snack. 

If I ask for a product, and all its variants, and all the locations and availability, this blows chunks with a cost > 4400.

OK... so now what? If I use cursors and loop through the inventory levels, the cost drops to around 600. A big chunk of the available 1000 if it used that. The reality is 11. So what if there are 20 locations? We would lose 11 * 22 = 242 actual units quickly for a product. We would also have to juggle the product cursor at the same time as the inventory levels cursor.

Alternatively, as suggested earlier by a Shopifier, perhaps we iterate the variants? A cursor on 10 is a cost of 445. Again, a big chunk of 1000 even though in actual use it kills only 5.

So the question I have here is managing cost vs network calls. It seems wrong to pretend making 10 API calls to get a variant just to stay in a skinny range of actual cost use is an advantage. All we've done is addressed payloads with a metric-ton of cursors and API calls, network latency issues, and gateway timeouts. 

So what is the advantage again? I am curious as to how this simple problem is best solved.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
Replies 3 (3)
SBD_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1098 147 219

Hey @HunkyBill,

I just ran a few tests. Consider starting with locations:

locations(first:10) {
  edges {
    node {
      id
      name
      inventoryLevels(first:10) {
        edges {
          node {
            id
            available
            item {
              sku
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

So the question I have here is managing cost vs network calls. It seems wrong to pretend making 10 API calls to get a variant just to stay in a skinny range of actual cost use is an advantage. All we've done is addressed payloads with a metric-ton of cursors and API calls, network latency issues, and gateway timeouts. 

If you're still hitting these issues, check out bulk operations.

Scott | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4743 54 545

And if there are 11 locations, you missed one there. So now you have a third cursor in play. So you're making:

1 call to initialize

2 calls to get up to 20 locations

and 10 more calls to get up to 100 variants.

So one product is potentially 12 calls. To be efficient?

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
SBD_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1098 147 219

Yeah it's not ideal. This type of query is well suited to bulk operations:

mutation {
  bulkOperationRunQuery(
   query: """
    {
      locations {
        edges {
          node {
            id
            name
            inventoryLevels {
              edges {
                node {
                  id
                  available
                  item {
                    sku
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
    """
  ) {
    bulkOperation {
      id
      status
    }
    userErrors {
      field
  }
}

And then to check on the status:

query {
  currentBulkOperation {
    id
    status
    errorCode
    createdAt
    completedAt
    objectCount
    fileSize
    url
    partialDataUrl
  }
}

Scott | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog