Maximum of 25 for interactive settings in blocks

Flafi87
Shopify Partner
11 1 5

Hello Shopify Community and developers at Shopify!

During migration to theme app extensions I got into a problem. Before I could have over 25 settings in a custom block, now it is limited inside Theme app extensions. I am trying to figure out how to solve this issue without creating custom script from our App itself with the necessary settings(and as I know we are trying to eliminate custom scripttags) and I dont want users to do settings in two places, but so far without success. Anyone has some clue how to deal with it? I would not like to cut the number of settings as they are necessary for styling. And I also would not like to ask users to write their own styling...

X Invalid tag 'schema': settings: must have a maximum of 25 for interactive settings

Replies 13 (13)

Wehateonions
Shopify Partner
24 4 18

Hi, i am having the exact same issue, i have 36 design elements for a table with buttons, and i dont want to limit the user to all customisation options, or as you say send them to another place to fill this out.

Shopify wants us to make our apps work better with the themes which we are trying to do, but with limitations like this how can we fully rely on an app block. Its very frustrating!

FAO Shopify, can this number be incresed?

In need of a Shopify developer for a bespoke app or theme, or maybe just someone that can help you out. Give us a shout, we are always happy to help. Wehateonions
Flafi87
Shopify Partner
11 1 5

Well, anyhow this new theme 2.0 extension thing is buggy as hell 🙂 One day it was working, next day it was not, uploading perfectly, but nothing is visible. I guess we have to wait a bit more.

kimieann
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Has this issue ever been answered? We are running into it now because we are trying to add a new customizable field due to customer demand for it and we can't because we are at 25. This means we've got to have them do settings in 2 places, which is confusing to the store owner.

JAS_Technology
Shopify Expert
86 0 56

I am just also reporting this limit as problematic and restricts us from building powerful/customizable functionality within these extensions. 

This along with File Size Limits are hard to deal with and really should be re-evaluated.

Happy to hear about your crazy ideas.
ShopifyDevSup
Shopify Staff
1299 210 451

Hi all - appreciate the discussion here. My understanding is that the 25 section limitation is connected to the block component within a 2.0 theme itself, rather than as part of the app block extension API. This is currently expected behaviour due to the limitation, but I did want to reply here to let you folks know we are taking into account your feedback. I can't guarantee anything specifically on my end, but I am going to submit a feature request report and pass this along to our product team. 

I definitely see where you're coming from when it comes to file size limitation too - I'm going to pass that along as a separate consideration, especially since I can see how it could be leveraged to create specialized buyer-facing experiences (video especially). When it comes to the app extension section limit in the app blocks - would you folks be able to provide a high level use case that I would be able to provide to our product team? 

I find that the more detailed of a use case I can provide, it provides more context for the product team to consider building or improving features. Thanks again - hope to hear from you soon. 

Al | Shopify Developer Support 

Developer Support @ Shopify
- Was this reply helpful? Click Like to let us know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

JAS_Technology
Shopify Expert
86 0 56

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for chiming in here! Replies like these are a part of why I love to spend my days working with Shopify.

Regarding the 25 schema settings limit within a block, that makes sense. I see why it should not be infinite, to preserve site speed, etc..., but having a robust set of customizable options within a block helps the merchant more and more in that it will reduce the need for customizing things via code. Infinite bad, maybe 75.. better!

And regarding the overall File Size Limits on Theme App Extensions, the benefit to have more space for settings and markup is very much the same as above. These settings and markup provide more capabilities for the merchant. Having more code within the app block, by developers, is WAY better than having more code within the theme itself. This is all about giving the merchant powerful tools to extend their theme. 

The specific use case I am working on are app blocks that that provide custom PDP, PLP, and landing page templates for products configured using the app. These products have certain data characteristics, and we, as the app developers, know the best practices on how to display this data. This will involve a fair amount of markup and settings to provide that control in various places. We are constantly hovering right around 100KB for our Liquid and are engineering ways to try to reduce that code (in some cases sacrificing helpful functionality).  So again. Infinite bad, maybe 500KB.. better!!

Thanks again and please keep us posted on this potential/hopeful change. 

JAS_Technology
Shopify Expert
86 0 56

Good morning @ShopifyDevSup . There is a bit more chatter on the thread I created specifically on the Theme App Extension file size limits. I'm just curious if there is any insight into Shopify's thoughts on raising these limits. The more I work with these extensions the more I like them but spend a lot of time thinking about how to handle this limitation without sacrificing features. 

Thanks for any thoughts. 

kubicle
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

+1

Any news on this?
Any link on a "best approach" to work around this in the meantime?

25 sounds like a limit from 1980 software - seriously.

kubicle
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

@kimieann when you wrote "have them do settings in 2 places", which other place did you mean? We are thinking about moving some "extra" settings to the "app link" (the link you find for our app in the "Installed apps" list). This does not look great but seems the best we have so far...

kimieann
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

The second place is within a Settings page on our app interface itself that the merchant loads from their Apps page. Still not great.

DanAtBonify
Shopify Partner
54 4 32

The limitation for 25 maximum interactive settings, and maximum of 6 non-interactive settings is a major limitation.

Since Shopify is deprecating the Assets API and essentially forcing people to use theme app extensions and app blocks, migrating to app blocks is impossible for our app.

Our app's current widgets are highly customizable and flexible (a feature supported by custom blocks in theme sections). We have block definitions with anywhere between 10 to 60 settings, with non-interactive headers to help group and organize them. Users love having this level of customization with our app.

There is no way to migrate from old custom section and block templates added to a shop's theme via the Assets API to the app block system which has much stricter limits.

I would suggest that Shopify have much higher limits to let the app developers decide what is right for the user. I can agree that limits are always good to have, but in this case a limit of 100 or even 250 settings would be more appropriate.

Why such a high limit? Because developers should be able to provide the necessary functionality to their user's that they deem necessary. Let the developer decide "how many is too many". The high limit of 100 or 250 is simply to ensure the Shopify backend isn't abused by apps making one thousand or ten thousand settings.

Darshan13
Shopify Partner
11 0 1

Hi, @DanAtBonify  can you find any solution in this error The limitation for 25 maximum interactive settings, and maximum of 6 non-interactive settings
for app extension.

DenisZ
Shopify Partner
10 0 5

I hate to pile on here, but since this has been open for two years now I feel like I have to. The 25 limit is frankly ridiculous. It's very limiting and prevents building serious things.