Solved

New product with the REST API not showing up

jamiegalbreath
Tourist
6 1 2

I am creating a new product with the REST API.
It does this fine but doesn't let this new product be available to the API.

I need to manually add the API to this under the "Sales channels and apps" on the product page.

Is there a default to allow API access?

Please send help!

Accepted Solution (1)
awwdam
Shopify Staff
249 42 36

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @jamiegalbreath,

Apps with proper authentication and access to the read_products and write_products scopes, can utilize any functionalities outlined in our REST Admin API - Product resource docs, as well as to querying objects and mutations around Product on GraphQL.

However, these scopes are not inherently tied to product publications or product listings. To you other point, with the exception of the Sales Channel APIs, as well as a few mutations that exist in GraphQL made explicitly available to Shopify Plus, there are some expected limitations with publications or product listings management. That said I would encourage you to explore our documentation to see what is available with read/write_products scopes, and keep an eye out for updates and future releases on our Developer Changelog!

Cheers!

awwdam | API Support @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

awwdam
Shopify Staff
249 42 36

Hey @jamiegalbreath,

Using the REST Admin API - Products resource, you can absolutely create a product and publish it to both the Online Store and Point of Sale channel, and even hide or show a hidden product by changing the published attribute. At this time only a Sales Channel will have access create or remove a ProductListing for a product, the resource that determines availability on that specific channel. This is referenced and explained in our sales channel API docs, and is an expected functionality. 

- Cheers!

- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

jamiegalbreath
Tourist
6 1 2

So correct me if I'm wrong but new products created by any of the shopify APIs don't have the ability to publish to channels other than online store and POS. From what I've read in the docs only Shopify Plus lets you create a product then read/write to that product again. 

Basically using the API I want to create a product then later read that product again.

Seems strange that this isn't possible?

awwdam
Shopify Staff
249 42 36

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @jamiegalbreath,

Apps with proper authentication and access to the read_products and write_products scopes, can utilize any functionalities outlined in our REST Admin API - Product resource docs, as well as to querying objects and mutations around Product on GraphQL.

However, these scopes are not inherently tied to product publications or product listings. To you other point, with the exception of the Sales Channel APIs, as well as a few mutations that exist in GraphQL made explicitly available to Shopify Plus, there are some expected limitations with publications or product listings management. That said I would encourage you to explore our documentation to see what is available with read/write_products scopes, and keep an eye out for updates and future releases on our Developer Changelog!

Cheers!

TacB0sS
Visitor
1 0 1

This sounds like a complete bag of bull..
Is Shopify not making enough to deprive us from actually publishing new products automatically? and then charge a reticules fee in order to support basic functionality?

I am absolutely shocked that this is a real limitation.. your product manager should feel shame!!