Order Editing API - Missing Edited_At Timestamp

KBetterReports
Shopify Partner
69 0 25

Hi there,

With Shopify's order editing feature, merchants can now edit their orders and while the "order/updated" webhook is fired, the API itself seems to lack the "Edited_At" timestamp.

Shopify's own analytics reports however seem to be using the "Edited_At" timestamp for the updates for the order. 

Let me elaborate with an example -

Order Placed on May 18 (Qty Sold 1), Order Updated on May 24 (Qty Sold 1+3 = 4) and May 25 (Qty Sold 4 + 1 = 5). Shopify's Analytics Reports would shows sales of 1,3 and 1 = 5 on May 18, May 24 and May 25 respectively. However, there seems to be no way to get this data in the API.

The "Updated_At" can not be an alternative because that is changed even without the order being edited due to other factors. 

Please let me know if something is unclear.

Because Shopify Analytics reports seem to be using the "Edited_At" timestamp, I am wondering if there is a way to access it so that even apps can be in sync with the way Shopify reports.

It seems to be query from other developers as well (comments under - https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/shopify-order-editing

Thank you for looking into this. Really appreciate it! 🙂

Replies 12 (12)

SBD_
Shopify Staff
1829 269 405

Thanks for the feedback @KBetterReports. We're working on a feature to expose a historical view of order changes via the API.

Scott | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 

ClementBR
Shopify Partner
153 2 44

Good to hear something is coming.

I wanted to point out that it's also critical for accounting integrations.

Past accounting records cannot be changed and new records should be created that reflects the edits made to the order, as of the edit's date.

Looking forward to the updates in the API. Please make it available in the REST api and webhooks as well.

Additional feedback:

When a quantity is decreased, it looks like a new refund is added to the order. That works well, because the refund gets has its own created_at field, which is assigned the date of the edit.

When a quantity is increased, however, it looks like the existing line item quantity is simply increased, which is problematic because line item don't have a created_at field. It might be cleaner to add a brand new line item. Then it would be a matter of adding a created_at field to the line item object.

I'm sure the smart folks at Shopify have thought about all of that but it would be great to get an idea of how the final API will be reflecting order edits.

Thanks

GourAjay
Tourist
3 0 3

Any updates when they are releasing this change?

GourAjay
Tourist
3 0 3

SBD_ 

Shopify's own analytics reports however seem to be using the "Edited_At" timestamp for the updates for the order. 
Can we get Edited_At timestamp in GraphQL or something at Line Level??

Thank you for looking into this. Really appreciate it!

ClementBR
Shopify Partner
153 2 44

We're still eagerly waiting for those.

Jordan
Shopify Staff
300 3 82

Hi folks! I'm a product manager on the orders team here at Shopify. I'm looking into this issue and trying to get a grip on what problems the lack of this timestamp (or visibility into what's changed on an order) has on your users/merchants! Would you be OK sharing your use case in this thread? https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Feedback-Wanted-Do-you-have-apps-that-need-to-know...

It'll help our team really get to know the problem and what impact it has on our collective users. 

Jordan | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

KBetterReports
Shopify Partner
69 0 25

Hi @Jordan ,

Any updates on this issue?

This has been pending for quite a while and regularly causes confusion to the merchant as the order API has no way of identifying which products were changed.

However, internally, Shopify base reporting is able to figure out the edited_at timestamp and there lies a disconnect between what API shows and what the internal reporting is.

We had also shared a feedback here - https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Feedback-Wanted-Do-you-have-apps-that-need-to-know...

What do you think?

42technologies
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

@Jordan @SBD_  Is there any update on the status?

We are happy to test it and work with merchants who have requested this feature to gather feedback.

42technologies
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

@KBetterReports thanks for bringing that up! We have experienced the exact same issue and merchants are asking why the numbers are not matching the Shopify reports. 
@SBD_ we are looking forward to the update 🙂

ProfitCalc
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

Any update on this? Having a timestamp for the updated at would make life super easy 🙂

42technologies
Shopify Partner
12 0 5

@ProfitCalc There was an update in another thread. You can use the GraphQL API to get the sales agreements data, which contains all modifications to an order. 
https://shopify.dev/api/admin-graphql/2021-07/interfaces/salesagreement

TheLoomCollecti
Visitor
2 0 0

42technologies - does this solve the problem when syncing data that the edits to the original order sit in the correct time / period?

if yes, how to make this work on our Shopify store - can you assist us?