Order ID not present at order confirmation page

joeone
Tourist
8 0 4

Hi all,

I have an external partner who has an app which links to our account which deals with collecting order information for use in tracking affiliate link conversions.

Earlier this week while we were testing an order we discovered that the order confirmation page was displaying without an order ID present on the page. Also when we were checking the console we could see that the order_ID object was showing a null value. Screenshots below.

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 07.58.19.png

Screenshot showing the confirmation page from the test order taken after about 10 minutes, via the backend. The order ID is present at this stage.

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 23.14.05.png

This is the order confirmation page screenshot from the order confirmation screen immediately on order replacement, missing the order ID.

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 23.14.22.png

And finally a screenshot of the same order confirmation screen with the missing order ID confirmed as missing in data by the console.

I included some research into this subject on the forums and found that Shopify sometimes will delay the generation of this data to maintain a smooth checkout experience when their servers are under high load. Some relevant links included below driving similar issues or affects with delayed data generation at check out.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Shopify-global-object-on-thank-you-page/td-p/61281...

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Explanation-of-the-order-number-value-in-the-check...

What I basically want to know is what is the behaviour of the Shopify system in this circumstance and how is it possible to ensure that every time a customer to checks out that their order ID can be pulled consistently even if the generation of some of this data is delayed an amount of time after the checkout actually completes and how this would relate to an app that needs to track this data.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because we need to adapt the way that our tracking script triggers at checkout to take into account that this can happen.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers that my lead to a workable solution.

0 Likes