Solved

product/update webhook not firing when editing price

lucas-p
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

Hey, we subscribe to the product/update webhook.

For an unknown reason, one of our users doesn't trigger it when he edits its variants prices but it works when he edits its product title.

Does it happen to you as well? Is there something I'm missing?

Accepted Solution (1)
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

This is an accepted solution.

Hi all,

Shopify's API Support here with an update. A fix to resolve this has now shipped to production and this would be resolved.

On the product page, the product/update webhook is firing when editing the price. Additionally, editing the quantity on the product page had been reported as not firing the product/update hook - this is also resolved.

Appreciate everyone's patience whilst we've been working on this! Hope this helps - thanks!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!

View solution in original post

Replies 39 (39)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @lucas-p 

I've been testing this out myself too on the latest version of the API 2021-04. The products/update hook was triggered when I edited a Product Variant's price.

This same hook was also triggered when I edited the corresponding Product's Title.  Perhaps re-registering the products/update webhook against the latest version of the API could help - seemed to be working as expected for me.

| Shopify |
boudreaux31
Visitor
2 0 1

I am seeing this as well for our app, with subscriptions version 2021-01 and 2021-04. Updating title fires the product/update event, but updating price only does not. 

boudreaux31
Visitor
2 0 1

We were just able to trace the issue to the fact that Shopify fires the product/update event when editing a variant price from the admin screen /admin/products/{productId}/variants/{variantId} but does NOT fire the product/update event when editing the variant price from the admin screen /admin/products/{productId}

ian_l
Shopify Partner
32 0 1

I think boudreaux31 is right.

@Luke_K can you kindly verify boudreaux31's scenario and expedite the fix if proven true.

Thanks.

Bundle Kit enables businesses to easily build product kits, sync inventory of bundle and bundled products sold, and fulfill bundle orders.
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Nice catch @boudreaux31 - thanks for raising this!

Hey @ian_l  I've been doing some testing in prod and investigating the logs -  indeed - I would be expectant that products/update would be firing in this scenario. 

The Development team is currently investigating this. I'll be sure to circle back here with future updates - please bear with me. 

| Shopify |
lucas-p
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

That's exactly the scenario we have too on our webhooks.

Thanks, @boudreaux31 @Luke_K !

codyb13
Shopify Partner
16 0 4

Hi @Luke_K - it appears this is also an issue when updating prices via CSV

AppsBySimple
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hi @Luke_K, When you are ready please share ETA on this fix. Our app is heavily reliant on price update webhook.

patryk-omnipack
Visitor
1 0 2

We created table what changes (with source of action - page) are now tracked by products/update event and we compared it with invoke inventory_items/update event.

PagePanelPropertyCalls on PRODUCTS_UPDATECalls on INVENTORY_ITEMS_UPDATE
product detailsheadertitleyesno
  descriptionyesno
 mediaaddyesno
  removeyesno
 variantsaddyesno
  removeyesno
  add optionnono
  edit optionnono
  remove optionnono
  edit pricenono
  edit quantityyesno
  edit skunoyes
 product statusedityesno
 inventroryedit Inventory managed bynono
  edit SKUnoyes
  edit barcodeno 
  edit Track quantitynoyes
variant detailsoptionsedit optionyesno
 pricingedit priceyesno
  edit compare at priceyesno
  edit cost per itemyesyes
  edit charge tax on this variantyesno
 inventoryedit managed byyesno
  edit skuyesyes
  edit barcodeyesno
  edit track quantityyesyes
  edit Continue selling when out of stockyesno
 shippingedit This is physical productyesyes
  edit weightyesno
  edit Country/Region of originyesyes
 footerdelete variantyesyes

We are expecting that every action in our table invoke products/update, also sku and barcode edition, @Luke_K we are right?

alligator1
Visitor
1 0 1

I have the same experience as above:

1. When editing barcode on product details page in section inventory (without variants) -> neither webhook (PRODUCTS_UPDATE nor INVENTORY_ITEMS_UPDATE) was called. It works only when I have the product with variants and I change the barcode on the variant details page.
  2. No webhook is ever called when editing product variant options.

😕

codyb13
Shopify Partner
16 0 4

Hi @Luke_K -- any updates here? 

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @codyb13 

No further updates here at present - any update will be shared the moment it arises, for sure. Thanks for the patience all whilst we are resolving this. Please bear with us!

| Shopify |
Sturla
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi, we are having the same problem, is some news of this issue resolving? 

lucas-p
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

I know you are hard-working on that but it's really critical for us.

As we are generating checkouts based on the price we fetch from the API, it can lead to wrong order prices.

EddyChung
Shopify Partner
65 1 28

Thank you @boudreaux31 for explaining this! I also have this problem, thought I was going crazy. 

viru
Shopify Partner
24 0 10

Hello,

I am facing the same issue sometimes that when change price from product detail page webhook does not call but when change price in variant detail page it calls webhook.

I am using 2021-04 currently. Do we have to update webhook version to 2021-07 to not facing this issue again or this is fixed in 2021-04?

Regards,
Viral

Regards,
Viral
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @viru 

Yes that's correct, this would be fixed for all stable versions. Changing price on that page would fire products/update webhook in 2021-04, we'd recommend bumping up to the latest version if possible. Hope that helps!

| Shopify |
viru
Shopify Partner
24 0 10

Hi @Luke_K 

Thank you for your confirmation.

Regards,
Viral
Anto_S
Shopify Partner
148 4 19

Posting this to check if anyone is experiencing an intermittent issue with product/update not firing after an API update of products. We have faced this in the past few days while making product updates via API for automated tests which we use as part of a CI/CD flow - the product/update webhook never triggers and then starts working on its own a few hours later.

It also appears that the issue goes away once we go in and make a change using the store UI - this triggers webhooks as expected, and then the webhooks triggered from API updates start working as well. We are fairly sure this is not an issue at our end, have tried this with multiple different endpoints.

thanks

Anto

Automating Commerce at Comstack.co
Email: anto@comstack.co
lucas-p
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

We have a similar problem since yesterday. We receive a lot of notifications of webhooks failing but it seems to work when we edit a product.

We did not change anything on our end.

viru
Shopify Partner
24 0 10

@All 

We had the same issue before two days.

May I know which Webhook Event version you have in your App Setup in Shopify? We are using 2021-04

Regards,
Viral
lucas-p
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

2021-01 for us.

viru
Shopify Partner
24 0 10

Hi @Luke_K 

We have faced this issue again before 2-3 days ago. but you said before 3 months that its fixed for all stable version.

Can you tell us what could be the reason this time ?

Regards,
Viral

Regards,
Viral
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @viru 

It would be hard to say without the specifics (the timestamp of when Webhook fired and so forth) but we did have an Incident with some webhooks recently in the last week, that caused some webhooks to not fire intermittently. It's resolved now and these hooks would have caught up.

| Shopify |
poggialb
Visitor
2 0 1

Is someone else still experiencing this issue?

I have a webhook registered with topic products/update, and have been doing some tests updating one product - the webhook is firing inconsistently.

As there are no shopify webhook logs accessible I cannot check whether the webhook fired (quite bad - logs should be made accessible to developers), but I'm checking directly our server logs and no request is received, so I'm pretty confident that the issue is in shopify.

When updating the product we are changing title, description and price, nothing too complex.

Is there any limitation on the frequency on product updates allowed, or any other limitation we should be aware of? I'm just testing human behaviour (nothing automated, nothing too fast or high volume) where on the same product I change title, save, go back after few seconds and change it again. Almost certainly the second update will not trigger a webhook. If I then update a different product the webhook will trigger...

Please help,

Thank you.

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Hi @lucas-p 

This is happening to us as well. But only for products that have one variant. If you update the variant information (e.g., price field) you'll get no webhook. If the product has at least 2 variants you'll get the hook to fire. We informed Shopify of this over two weeks ago. They have confirmed that there is a bug on their end and that their engineers are looking into it. We are waiting on an update on this still.

Anto_S
Shopify Partner
148 4 19

FWIW, We'd like to add that API updates to products are occasionally not triggering the product/update webhook.

We are running the identical jest test (no changes in code), and they occasionally fail to trigger the webhook .

Automating Commerce at Comstack.co
Email: anto@comstack.co
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

This is an accepted solution.

Hi all,

Shopify's API Support here with an update. A fix to resolve this has now shipped to production and this would be resolved.

On the product page, the product/update webhook is firing when editing the price. Additionally, editing the quantity on the product page had been reported as not firing the product/update hook - this is also resolved.

Appreciate everyone's patience whilst we've been working on this! Hope this helps - thanks!

| Shopify |
codyb13
Shopify Partner
16 0 4
Thanks so much, Luke! Can we also confirm the webhook is firing when
uploading a CSV with product edits?

Thank you,
Cody
Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @codyb13 

That's correct - I can confirm products/update webhook will fire when uploading a products CSV with product edits.  Thanks!

| Shopify |
Sturla
Tourist
3 0 0

Thank you for this information, when will this be like before? this is costing us a lot of work and some products are selling at wrong prices because when it is updated in Shopify then it will not update in my point of sale Pos system unless I do it manually. (Not Shopify pos) 

Sturla
Tourist
3 0 0

Thank you, i have seen that this is working 100% 

mayankksolves
Visitor
2 0 1

While updating the Product "Cost per item" Webhook is not triggering 

briancavalier
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

We seeing that issue also.  Changing "Cost per item" doesn't seem to trigger any product-related webhooks.  Anyone heard any updates from Shopify on that specific issue?

FunkDoc
Tourist
3 0 0

I'm having this same issue. Product is updated and webhook fires. Any attempts after that no matter what I edit the hook won't fire. But about 20 minutes later if I edit and save, it will fire for that change. Nothing inbetween ever arrives at my server. Contacted support, no useful response yet. Anyone else have an answer?

poggialb
Visitor
2 0 1

What field are you including in the webhook message? If the fields included don’t change, the webhook is stopped on shopify side as it’s considered a duplicate of the previous one sent.

If you want to receive all the webhooks fired, either include all the fields or add the updated_at field.

I enquired shopify support directly, and this was their reply: “I spoke with some of our engineers about the behaviour you noticed and it turns out you are right. We are filtering out duplicate webhooks. When you added the updated_at field, the webhooks were no longer duplicates, as that field was different for each one. This is intended behaviour, though not necessarily the intended use of the updated_at field.”

FunkDoc
Tourist
3 0 0

Brilliant! Thanks so much Poggialb, I only needed 1 field so your answer is spot on.

mayankksolves
Visitor
2 0 1

While updating the Product "Cost per item" Webhook is not firing 

viru
Shopify Partner
24 0 10
Hello

You will not receive a webhook for this input change. You can get from the
"inventory_items" API as a batch process.

Regards,
Viral