Product Video Limitations

nicu_taban
Tourist
9 0 1
Hi, I have some questions about the limitations for uploading videos to Shopify products via the API. The documentation states the following four limits:
  • Video length: Up to 60 seconds
  • Video size: Up to 1 GB
  • Video resolution: Up to 4K (4096 x 2160 px)
  • Video file type: .mp4 or .mov
Is anyone aware of other limitations? Also, are the video length or size dependent on the Shopify Subscription that a user has? Is there a way to upload files with a duration greater than 60 seconds?
Thank you
0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1259 88 209

Hey, @nicu_taban.

I’m here to help. I appreciate you doing your own research. You’re correct that these are the limitations for uploading videos on a product page and they are listed in our help docs. Was it this help doc that you found this in: Video - Product media types?

If so, these are the limitations and there is no video length or size dependent on what subscription a merchant has for their store. There is a limit of the number of videos that you can upload. Here is a screenshot of these limits from our help doc:
15-50-34065-86754

These limits are per product and dependent on the plan, and have separate counts for 3D models and videos. Here is our help doc where you can learn more: Video and 3D model hosting limits.

I am curious, what kind of videos did you want to upload? Why is it important that they are longer than 60 seconds? Let me know and we can brainstorm some ideas together to help you move forward with your business.

Chat soon,

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

nicu_taban
Tourist
9 0 1

Hello @Tira 

Thank you for your response. Yes, I found the limitations in the link you provided ( Product Media Types ). It is important that the videos are longer than 60 seconds so that they can be used to promote multiple products In the same video. The use case that I'm trying to achieve is displaying a video containing descriptions of multiple products on the home page of a store.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1259 88 209

Thanks for replying with more details, @nicu_taban. I can understand how it would be beneficial to be able to upload longer videos to your store. There isn’t a way to upload videos longer than 60s on your store, I do have some suggestions of workarounds that might help:

- Upload your videos to YouTube or Vimeo or another video upload/streaming site as suggested in the help doc I listed on product media types. You wouldn’t have any limits with these videos within Shopify, and you can embed them into your product pages, blog posts or pages on your store.

- Use a third-party app from our App Store. Here is a page with a list of video uploading apps. These apps are created by third-party developers, should you have any questions or need guidance, please reach out to the third-party developer for support using the information listed underneath the “Support” section of the app’s page.

- Another option is to upload your video on a video site and then add a link to it where your customers can click on the link and then watch the video on an external site.

What are your thoughts?

I am also happy to forward this as a feature request to our developers team so that they are aware of how we can improve Shopify for you and all of our merchants. Before I do that, where were you hoping to put this video? I would love to know so that I can add it to the feature request to our developers. 

I look forward to hearing from you,

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Minta
1 0 0

Hi there! We see you were having some questions regarding putting videos in your Shopify page. We  automatically create product videos of your entire product catalog that you can then share directly to your social platforms and insert to your Shopify product page directly from our app. The videos are optimized in length specifically for product pages, social posts and ads. We even have powerups where we autopost for you everyday, meaning Minta creates a video and posts it for you behind the scenes without you having to do a thing. We also just launched our calendar where you can schedule your video posts up to a month in advance.  We have  free and paid plans available. We would love to have you come take us for a test ride!

0 Likes