Solved

"shopify node serve" Command Problem

bdowling
Pathfinder
80 13 45

Hi, I'm trying out the Shopify CLI. I'm going through this tutorial. I'm using Windows 10. 

Running "shopify node create" scaffolds the new project but when I run "shopify node serve" I get this error:

√ curl @ C:/WINDOWS/System32/curl.EXE
√ tar @ C:/Rtools/bin/tar.EXE
- Installing ngrok...
X System call failed: tar -xf C:/[...]/shopify/ngrok.zip

(I inserted the "[..]" to hide personal info in the folder name)

The ".../shopify/ngrok.zip" DOES exist. I tried deleting it and running "shopify node serve" again but same thing happens.

Based on this. I think "shopify node serve" is downloading a zip -- thinking I'm on MAC -- and then since I'm on Windows, it tries to tar(untar?) the zip file.

Am I missing something or should I report a bug? 

Accepted Solution (1)
bdowling
Pathfinder
80 13 45

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, thanks for the reply. In case someone has a similar problem, I manually unzipped the file and was able to use the command with no problems after than.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @bdowling 

Thanks very much for raising this! Yes - sounds like it could be one for the CLI team to run their ruse over.

By all means, feel free to log an issue in the following repository. Much obliged!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
bdowling
Pathfinder
80 13 45

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, thanks for the reply. In case someone has a similar problem, I manually unzipped the file and was able to use the command with no problems after than.

logez
Visitor
3 0 6

Hi Thanks for the question.! Yes downloading the ngrok from the official site and extracting it and place the ngrok.exe into the shopify folder (C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\shopify) will work. 

cpt_jack
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

I have tried the suggested solution but it doesn't work for me.

I made sure I downloaded the stable version of ngrok.

I am using Shopify CLI version 2.7.1

ravichoudharysb
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I encountered same issue, but i was able to sort it out with same steps as @logez explained.

I just placed a ngrok.zip file manually in to the requested location on windows system

and it worked, I am using Shopify CLI version 2.7.x

Thanks

Team Startbit