Request: Add Comments to Order via API

stouchette
Tourist
5 0 2

Another use case is that our Order Management System and our POS both need to add and remove tags from orders to help our shipping and CS staff in their workflows. Based on tags we have parts of the business segment and handle orders. We can add and remove tags via API, but if we cannot add comments via API, then we have no idea who (person or API) nor when a tag was added. So it makes it a nightmare for end users to know the order timeline of events. So now when we do the API updates to tags, we log them in our database, but then users have to ask Dev for details when researching issues or asking for timeline of tags.

Is this still not possible?

Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 247

I don't believe it's available yet. Although you certainly have a good use case. While you could employ metafields to handle "logging" the product tag changes, these wouldn't be easily visible to the endusers in the web UI. 

ryantkelly
Excursionist
11 0 9

Just wanted to chime in that, in the year 2021, this would still be a great feature to add to the REST API.

As it stands, I am sending email confirmations to my customer service team as opposed to logging these changes in the order comments/timeline.

samddc
Tourist
4 0 2

When will this feature be added? It looks like many members of the community have been waiting for well over a year. 

yudho
2 0 0

+1 on this. The use case is that, I have a backend system which reacts to webhook or schedule and send a custom email notification. I want the system to be able to update the order timeline that the custom email has been sent at what time.

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1403 124 376

I also regularly get requests from store owners that want the timeline comments to trigger a webhook (integrating it with the order update webhook would make the most sense I think).

I know plenty of store owners that use the timeline as an essential part of their workflow, if we could have better access as developers we could help more store staff save time and provide a better experience.

Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders / customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (1st performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts + app developers).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).
thanjaipvr
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi All,

Any update on this. I need the API to update the comments for an Order.

Thanks

SkyImageLab
Tourist
6 0 4

This would be a very valuable feature for me as well

Tonegolf71
Tourist
6 0 5

+1 We need this for similar reasons to what has already been mentioned.

SkyImageLab
Tourist
6 0 4

This would be a very useful feature for my business as well