Running the Shopify POS app in an Xcode iPad emulator - is a Shopify POS App Bundle available?

Solved
John_Hardin
Tourist
4 1 0

Folks:

I need to do some testing that involves orders and returns generated via the Shopify POS application (vs. via the Admin order management web UI). I would really prefer to do this in an emulated iOS/Android device running on my dev desktop rather than on an actual physical mobile device - for example, I really would prefer to use a genuine keyboard, and copy+paste from the desktop would be very handy.

Is there any way to get the Shopify POS app in the form of an Apple App Bundle, so that I can install it in an Xcode iPad simulator? The simulators cannot install apps from the Apple store when running on Intel due to the hardware platform.

Alternatively, is there a version of the Shopify POS app for Android available for x86 (Atom)? When I try to install it from the Google app store in an Android Studio AVD emulator I get "no eligible devices available" for x86. I presume they are compiling it for ARM, but the ARM emulator images in Android Studio don't have Google Play Store...

Shopify Partner Support pointed me at the community, I think this request is a bit unusual for them.

Thanks in advance for any positive info!

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
John_Hardin
Tourist
4 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Followup:

The Shopify POS App works well in an Android emulator if you pick a newer emulator that emulates an ARM CPU on x86. Speed is acceptable.

You must use or enable the Google Play Store application so that you can download the Shopify POS App. Depending on the emulator you pick there might not be a predefined Google Play version provided, so you might need to edit the emulator configuration file to enable this feature.

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
John_Hardin
Tourist
4 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Followup:

The Shopify POS App works well in an Android emulator if you pick a newer emulator that emulates an ARM CPU on x86. Speed is acceptable.

You must use or enable the Google Play Store application so that you can download the Shopify POS App. Depending on the emulator you pick there might not be a predefined Google Play version provided, so you might need to edit the emulator configuration file to enable this feature.

View solution in original post