Shopify Product Import Limit - API Issue

Selvence
Excursionist
63 0 5

Hello, I am having a severe issue with product uploading. I use Doba - a supplier directory for my products. I do need, however, a rather technical answer to an issue occurring for the Shopify API. https://help.shopify.com/api/getting-started/api-call-limit - That is the link Doba has provided for an error resolution but I do not have a clue about getting this resolved myself.

So basically I have a worker who is uploading products onto my store via Doba. 

The first 55,000 went smoothly but after that, 119,000 did not upload correctly and I just found out.

at first, I thought it might be an internet connection issue either on my part or theirs but it is actually a Shopify problem (as noted by the Doba developer support team)

the error message, as depicted in the screenshot, is what shows up as a result.Doba error message.PNGmessage.PNG

Replies 5 (5)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @Selvence 

Thanks for raising this one! So that message returned in the Doba app,  is Shopify stating that the Doba app is exceeding it's allowed Product Variant daily create limit when it is trying to create products with Shopify's API. The documentation here that's referenced in the message, would mainly be a message for Doba's use/action. Typically, when an app is hitting Shopify's API rate limits it will be on Doba to fix.

To remedy these situations Doba would need to request Shopify to raise the app's API rate limit - hope that helps explain a little more!

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Doba-US
Visitor
2 0 0

The current Standard limit of REST API is 2 requests/second. How can I increase this limit? (Shopify Plus limit is 4 requests/second, but it is still not enough)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @Doba-US 

One question would be, how are you managing the app's API usage? How often are you hitting the limits?  In REST there is a header entitled HTTP_X_SHOPIFY_SHOP_API_CALL_LIMIT which is returned in response headers which is one way to manage the API's call budget.

Feel free to send me a DM if that suits! Thank you.

| Shopify |

Doba-US
Visitor
2 0 0

When a user's Shopify store has 50,000 product variants, Shopify limits users to create no more than 1,000 new variants per day.( Shopify's official instructions for this: https://shopify.dev/api/usage/rate-limits#resource-based-rate-limits.)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @Doba-US 

At this juncture I'd say it would a be good idea to contact Shopify Partner support directly to ask for a rate limit exemption, so that this can be handled through the regular Shopify support channels. 

You'll be able to contact support in your Partner Dashboard - (documentation to do so is here). They'll ask about the app's API usage and if the app is retrying any throttled 429 requests. Exemptions are granted but it's dependent on the store/the app's existing usage of the API. Hope that helps!

| Shopify |