Solved

Shopify specs for REST API order line properties element

FST1
Visitor
1 0 0

Our 3PL system has the ability to download Shopify orders via the REST API. They're getting errors on one Shopify store because they're claiming they're receiving out of spec values on the Order Line properties element. 

Specifically, they're receiving this (bracketed/quoted value):

"properties":[{"name":"tags","value":["Educators"]}]

When they claim they should be receiving this (quoted value):

"properties":[{"name":"tags","value":"Educators"}]

They're saying that according to Shopify documentation, the properties:tag value should be a string, not an array. I've looked through the Shopify docs but can't find a definitive answer on this.

Can anyone point me to the precise specs for the properties element? Or does anyone know for certain that passing an array is out of spec?

Accepted Solution (1)

csam
Shopify Staff (Retired)
267 40 51

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @FST1 

What they're expecting to receive is correct, the format for the properties field is like: 

"properties": [
      {
        "name": "custom engraving",
        "value": "Happy Birthday Mom!"
      }
    ]

I would recommend taking a look at the properties field for the orders - you can do this by appending .json onto any order page in the Shopify admin. Have a look at the properties field to see how the data is formatted there; that is the same format that it will be sent in response to an API request.

If you're seeing incorrect formatting there, I would definitely suggest reaching out to Shopify Support directly. From there, someone from our team can authenticate for your account and help connect you with our technical team to take a closer look if needed.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

csam
Shopify Staff (Retired)
267 40 51

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @FST1 

What they're expecting to receive is correct, the format for the properties field is like: 

"properties": [
      {
        "name": "custom engraving",
        "value": "Happy Birthday Mom!"
      }
    ]

I would recommend taking a look at the properties field for the orders - you can do this by appending .json onto any order page in the Shopify admin. Have a look at the properties field to see how the data is formatted there; that is the same format that it will be sent in response to an API request.

If you're seeing incorrect formatting there, I would definitely suggest reaching out to Shopify Support directly. From there, someone from our team can authenticate for your account and help connect you with our technical team to take a closer look if needed.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.