shopPolicyUpdate - limitation in length

ITRK
1 0 0

Hi there,

we are using the Admin-API for writing shop policies. The input field ShopPolicyInput.body has a maximum size of 512kb according to that documentation: https://shopify.dev/api/admin-graphql/2021-07/mutations/shopPolicyUpdate

However when sending a shopPolicyUpdate request with a body of about 55000 characters, we receive an error from Shopify saying "query param length is too long". When sending shorter texts everything works as expected (I haven't tried to find out the exact limit yet).

So imho this is an API bug as the documentation allowes those lenghts explicitly.

Business background: In Germany we have privacy policies that need to be up to around 100000 characters, so these are not writable via the API (but they are via the Shopify admin UI).

Reply 1 (1)
L_J_K
Shopify Staff
368 55 65
Hey @ITRK 

Thanks for raising this! There are a couple of points here how we can help going forward.

1. If you are a Shopify Partner, please feel free to contact Partner Support (docs here) and select the new option to Report an issue [BETA], select the option for API, and follow the authentication steps. We can't guarantee all requests or bugs reported here are answered directly, but I would absolutely encourage you use this option and share as much detail as possible, including any of the x-request-id's from the requests for which you received a response about the query parameters being too long when calling shopPolicyUpdate.

2. If you are store owner or store staff member, please reach out to Shopify Support and let them know we suggested so as next steps for reporting a potential API issue. Hope that helps!
| API Support @ Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!