Store variable from backend and include it into JS file

Vinvin
3 0 0

Hello there,

I started yesterday developping my first app. Im looking 2 things :

• I made a backend page and user can enter tracking code but I don't know how to store it ? Can I use metafields ?
  • Then, once this data stored I need to add it into javscript code. When reading docs it seems I need javascript file but how can I add my variable into the JS code ??

Thank you 🙂 

Replies 4 (4)
etrolmos
Shopify Partner
22 1 5

What is the tracking code's purpose? Is it for a shipment/order, product, or site analytics?

If it's for a shipment, you would use the fulfillment APIs (creating a fulfillment, or creating a Fulfillment Service) and specify the tracking code. Shopify would handle displaying the tracking code in the order details pages for admin and customer.

If it's something related to a product rather than specific orders/users, you could use a metafield to store it.

When using a metafield, it can be accessed in the liquid code and embedded into the html as an attribute (eg, data-my-field="{{ ... }}") or a variable in a script section. Then use javascript to access that attribute or variable.

Or if it's a public metafield, you could also access it from javascript using the Storefront API, say if you had a theme that behaved more like a SPA.

Vinvin
3 0 0
Oh thank you for this wonderful answer 🙂

Yes if for tracking purposes. If goog idea i will use data-var and get it into my js file.
I will add it to all pages ? Cause I need to track also order
etrolmos
Shopify Partner
22 1 5

I'm still not sure what kind of tracking purpose. Can you describe it more please?

Can you please also describe what you mean by tracking orders?

Vinvin
3 0 0
Yes for setup hotjar. I want developping a app for that 🙂