Solved

Theme Extensions launch date?

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

Is there any indication of when Theme Extensions are going to roll out to all shops? Specifically App embed blocks. The docs say that "legacy themes" will also be supported - meaning all themes, which is very cool. 

App embed blocks are supported in vintage and in Online Store 2.0 themes, because they don't rely on sections or JSON templates. However, app embed blocks can't point to dynamic sources, because these blocks only have access to the Global Liquid scope for the page on which they're rendered

I just want to know when we need our apps ready to go. The onboarding instructions and app install will be very different for me once this roll and I want to be ready to support all merchants.

Full doc here - https://shopify.dev/apps/online-store/theme-app-extensions/extensions-framework#examples-of-app-bloc... 

SEO Manager - The FREE all-in-One SEO solution for Shopify
A powerful suite of SEO tools that gets you found in Google results

- Install SEO Manager -
Accepted Solution (1)
JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

This is an accepted solution.

I got an answer. August 31, 2021

If your app isn't compliant by then. No new merchants will be allowed to install your app and you will be demoted in the app store.

Emails went out on August 10 and 24th. Outside of that there is no official announcement that I have seen. 

"Vintage" themes will get app embeds also on august 31

It's frustrating, for sure, but it is what it is.

Happy upgrading everyone!

- Install SEO Manager -

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Michael_CLift
Shopify Partner
13 0 22

I'm struggling with the same question,  i know there is guide on how to check for app blocks support https://shopify.dev/apps/online-store/verify-support  , but for app embed blocks there doesn't seem to be a way to detect support?   

In order to customize our onboarding, I would be curious to know when this will be available to all stores. 

BugShallNotPass
Shopify Partner
32 1 9

Same here. I have a public app ready that utilises theme extensions but the Shopify app review team can't check it's working because it appears like it's still available on development stores only.

Xmas Shopify app - beautiful falling snow animation
New Arrivals Shopify app - automatically tag/untag products based on creation/publishing date
Motion - scrolling text announcements
Best Sellers Shopify app - and automate bestseller collections based on quantities or sales
Stash Shopify app - hide products from search results and search engines

SethKitchen
Visitor
1 0 1

Bump -- Also would like to know -- review team is not passing it because not working in their stores

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
175 10 65

This is an accepted solution.

I got an answer. August 31, 2021

If your app isn't compliant by then. No new merchants will be allowed to install your app and you will be demoted in the app store.

Emails went out on August 10 and 24th. Outside of that there is no official announcement that I have seen. 

"Vintage" themes will get app embeds also on august 31

It's frustrating, for sure, but it is what it is.

Happy upgrading everyone!

- Install SEO Manager -
BugShallNotPass
Shopify Partner
32 1 9

@JoshHighland cool! Thanks for leaving this info here!

I haven't got any email about this...

New Arrivals Shopify app - automatically tag/untag products based on creation/publishing date
Best Sellers Shopify app - and automate bestseller collections based on quantities or sales
BugShallNotPass
Shopify Partner
32 1 9

@SethKitchen I've got a reply from Shopify support finally after almost 2 weeks. They let me know that they fixed that for the reviewer so he will be able to proceed with testing the app.