Urgent issue - Cannot reinstall custom app on client store

Solved
JBraund
Tourist
5 1 5

Good evening,

We have been building a custom app for one of our clients. Due to a backend issue on our part, which meant that we couldn't automatically request an update in client permissions, we had a need to reinstall the app on the client's store to get the new permissions. We tested this with a copy of the app in our own environments, and this worked fine.

However, when I attempted to do so (using the merchant install link, tied to the specific store that we built the app for), I get the following:

Active Photographic ~ Authorize AP Photo Management (PROD) ~ Shopify - Google Chrome 29_09_2021 23_58_24 (2).png

(Store name and app name obfuscated for privacy)

Digging a bit into the markup for this view, I can see that the alt text for the red cross image is: "<app name> can't read or write to <store name>". The image name itself includes the label "permissions-blocked".

This app is a crucial part of our client's workflow. Please can we get some guidance on what is going wrong here ASAP?

Thanks,

James

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
JBraund
Tourist
5 1 5

This is an accepted solution.

Just to close the loop on this, this issue appears to have now been solved. I have made zero changes on my end since, so can only surmise that this was a problem on the Shopify end.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)
Bas_ter_Brugge
Shopify Partner
10 0 3

Hi, 

We have the same issue. It is possible to install the custom app in a development store in the same developer account, but it is not possible to install the custom app in a production customer store.

Rgds,

Bas

mwolfe
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

We are having the same issue. Development store works fine but cannot install it on production store. This is a very time sensitive project so obviously this setback is a little frustrating.

mwolfe
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Has anyone been able to solve this?

I've been trying all morning and here's my leading theory: the Merchant install links being generated are wrong. I tried creating three new apps and tried installing them on two different stores. each time they keep telling me I could not install the app I originally received this error on (even though that was not the app I was trying to install).

I deleted the original app completely and all the other apps that were giving me errors, and now if I create a completely new app, point it to a domain hosting boilerplate code (https://github.com/bluebeel/nextjs-shopify), add the app's secret and key,  and generate a new merchant install link.... I get this (which is referring to the deleted original app's api_Key). The newly generated merchant install link clearly contains the new app's API_Key so I can only assume the issue is with the hash. I cleared my cache and tried this on three different browsers and it's the same thing.

mwolfe_2-1633029989844.png

strangely enough, even though I am getting the "app does not exist error" (in reference to the old app) I can see from my function logs that it is reaching out the new one:

mwolfe_1-1633029970185.png

What makes this even more frustrating is that I have a custom app running perfectly fine on another store with the exact same codebase.

JBraund
Tourist
5 1 5

This is an accepted solution.

Just to close the loop on this, this issue appears to have now been solved. I have made zero changes on my end since, so can only surmise that this was a problem on the Shopify end.