Use the DraftOrder and Checkout resources to create a checkout from a draft order

amosmos
Shopify Expert
81 1 32

Hello,

The DraftOrder API documentation has this:

draft.png

Look at that last bullet: "Use the DraftOrder and Checkout resources to create a checkout from a draft order (sales channel apps only)."

But I couldn't find any explanation on how to do this. How to convert a draftorder object into a checkout object to be used with the checkout API.

I tried looking for a checkout ID or checkout token, but it's not there. Not even when completing the draftorder.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

Amos

Replies 14 (14)

Alex
Shopify Staff
1561 81 341

This looks like it can be phrased better. This sentence was refactored around 4 months ago from: 

Use Draft Orders API in conjunction with the Checkouts API by creating a Checkout object based on a draft order (Sales Channel SDK only). based on a draft order (Sales Channel SDK only).

I'm going to get that corrected so it's less confusing, but I guess what it's trying to say is that you can use the draft orders API to template a checkout, and then create a checkout from what you end up with on your nearly finished draft order.

Cheers.

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

tolgapaksoy
Shopify Partner
105 7 64

@Alex Is it correct though that you can exactly template a Checkout by a DraftOrder?

In DraftOrders, you're allowed to use (custom) discounts per line item. I can't see a possibility for this using the Checkout API?

gabrielnaologic
Visitor
1 0 0

No, you are not. No matter what you send in `applied_discounts` fails. You can't use discount codes on Draft Orders

amosmos
Shopify Expert
81 1 32

@gabrielnaologic I know you can't add discount codes to draft orders.

That's why I am looking to create a checkout object from the draft order, because you can add discount codes to a checkout object.

That's the whole point of this post.

Amos

JMartinezFSL
Visitor
3 0 0

The only way I found is to update cart from draft order a then checkout.

amosmos
Shopify Expert
81 1 32

Hi @JMartinezFSL ,

That KS for your note.

How do you update cart from draft order?

Thanks,

Amos

JMartinezFSL
Visitor
3 0 0
From the draft order:
const lineItems = draftOrder.line_items;
const newCartItems = lineItems.map((item) => ({
id: item.variant_id,
quantity: item.quantity,
}));

return fetch('/cart/add.js', {
method: 'POST',
headers: {
'Content-Type': 'application/json',
},
body: JSON.stringify({
items: newCartItems,
}),
});

amosmos
Shopify Expert
81 1 32

Thanks for the explanation. I think you misunderstood the case here.

What you suggest is just to add line items to the cart from the store's front-end.
For that we don't even need the draft order to begin with 🙂

We wanted to use draft orders to do unique things you can't do with the storefront (for example any kind of discounts) and we want to then make that a "checkout" object so we can pay for it through the api with the storefront api (not from the website's frontend).

But anyways that's an old post and since then Shopify corrected the docs and removed the note that it's possible to be done (as it's not).

Thanks,
Amos

I_KNOW_NOTHING
Shopify Partner
45 0 11

Hey @amosmos ,

I really need to do exactly the same as what you needed, do you have any luck doing it? I saw an app that actually does it, but not automatically, and instead you will click the "generate checkout link" in the draft order backend. I needed this to be done automatically, here's the app I'm talking about: https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper

FrugalFinery
Visitor
2 0 1

I think this may be what I have been looking for! Let me explain. I send my customers draft orders from social media claims. They are used to being able to go into my store and add on to their invoice (the old platform I used) and pay everything all at once. I would like them to still be able to do this! Will this code allow for that? If so, where exactly do I put this code?

amosmos
Shopify Expert
81 1 32

@Alex  - Thank so much for clearing it out, but what I still don't understand, and nowhere in the documentation or the forums it is explained, is:

How do I create a checkout from what I end up with on my nearly finished draft order?

It is quite what I understood too from the remark in the documentation, just don't understand how to do it.

I do believe it's possible because that's what the Shopify admin is probably doing - you create a draft order, and then you can send an email to the customer with a link to complete a checkout. I really want to know how to do it too 🙂

tolgapaksoy
Shopify Partner
105 7 64

Yo @amosmos, I just found out that if you visit the draft_order.invoice_url, it will redirect you automatically to a checkout that is prefilled with all the DraftOrder line items, shipping lines and discounts.

amosmos
Shopify Expert
81 1 32

@tolgapaksoy Thanks! Yes I'm aware of this, but it's not a checkout resource that I can use with the checkout API.

One example of the benefits of transforming a draft order into a checkout resource is that it will allow to add discounts (predefined in the store) to the order...

Amos

elmorgan3
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Hi @amosmos 

There still no way or documentation to do this?

I'm also trying to create a draftOrder instead of an order when user clicks on Pay Order. What I tryed is use webhooks from webhooks list, specificly DRAFT_ORDERS_CREATE to capture event and modify the order and then use mutation draftordercomplete to make an order from it. But the webhook DRAFT_ORDERS_CREATE, is never launch.

What I did is create a private app, that let me add products to my cart with some properties that determines their price, and then I use this properties to update the final order price. The problem is that when I update this order it is already paid, now I'm trying to make Capture Payment manually but for this you'll need a Payment App, but is on beta, etc