Why shop webhooks instead of app webhooks?

cypcz
8 0 0

Hello,

so I started to play with webhooks for public app I'm building but one concept is really strange to me. The question is as in the title - why do we need to register webhook for each shop rather than for our public app?

To my undestanding, the best time to register webhooks is right after successful oauth flow. There can be multiple webhook registration requests, say 10. But what if registration of one of them fails and app is dependant on it? 

Wouldn't it be better to register all webhooks on app level (partners dashboard) the same way mandatory GDPR webhooks are? Then webhook event would be triggered from shop where event happened and has the app installed.

I really must be missing something obvious here. Anyone care to clarify, please?

Thank you.

0 Likes
mikedasilva
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
45 4 4

Hi @cypcz 

Thanks for the feedback! There are some internal reasons for this as well as providing flexibility to developers that may have/need a variety of destinations for their webhooks based on different shops. We're always looking at ways to simplify the process while still offering flexibility so I'll share your feedback with some others.

Cheers

Mike

mikedasilva | Developer @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes