Removing (1) from webpage tab title on Shopify: Why and what's the process?

MadReal
Tourist
5 0 0

How to remove the (1) from the webtab title it is annoying

https://www.madsportitems.com

Thank You

Replies 14 (14)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @MadReal 

That is your website browser's way of showing you have an unread notification coming from that tab. In your case, the (1) shows up because of the 'Chat with us' bot app that you use on your homepage.

Once you click on the chat, it removes the notification from your tab.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

txshellie
Excursionist
25 0 5

@Dirk 

Please take a second look at this issue. 

We also thought that it was just an issue with Chrome or Google but now that our busiest season is over I am horrified to see that there is (1) in front of my homepage results in the SERPS and on various products and collections. We are also seeing the (1) when we search on products in inbox/chat. 

I've looked and the (1) is in our source code in front of the page's title.

I see the (1) in my normal chrome browser and also when incognito. 

Where should we start looking in our liquid files to resolve this? If this is an issue with inbox, how quickly can this be fixed?

chavie
Visitor
1 0 0

Where is an actual solution - it seems many stores are suffering from this issue and shopify chat has not provided any solutions?!?!

hawkinslab
Visitor
1 0 0

@MadReal did you find a solution? If so, please share as we are encountering the same problem with the (1) being inserted before the Titles of pages, this (1) is being indexed in search engines. The only thing we know so far is the (1) is coming from Shopify Inbox. Thanks for any insight. -Michael, HawkinsLab

Rangershooter
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

I hope Shopify brings a solution for this problem. The indexation in Google is far from ideal and the (1) is also misleading sinds there are no messages at all. 

txshellie
Excursionist
25 0 5

The only fix so far is to turn off inbox/chat. 

I can't find it again but it looks like there was a programmer at Shopify who fixed this issue for a couple of stores last year. 

All but two of my search engine result titles have lost the (1). 

I would like to turn chat back on but can't until this issue is resolved. 

RIOLAD
Tourist
7 1 1

Hello ! 

So when you turn it off it works ? Or you also have to recrawl your pages to search console ?

Rangershooter
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

Yes, when you remove the Inbox App it should dissapear. Considering you have some traffic on your shop Google will crawl your pages automatically. Crawling manually will obviously speed up this process. 

RIOLAD
Tourist
7 1 1

@Rangershooter 

Thanks ! I hope the shopify team resolve this fast because it's a big loss to not have chat on our website

Rangershooter
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

@RIOLAD 

No problem! And you have a lot of alternative (mostly paid) chat-apps which you can use. 

RIOLAD
Tourist
7 1 1

@Rangershooter 

Yes ! You are right but I'm afraid of having the same issue with another app. Do you use one and are you satisfied with it ?

Rangershooter
Shopify Partner
13 0 4
For now I just use the Inbox app, just because I couldn't find a free
alternative and am not that bothered by the webpage-title. You can always
check this out at the customer service of the apps themselves.
txshellie
Excursionist
25 0 5

Yes, when inbox is turned off, the (1) issue is temporarily resolved and the (1) should fall off the index naturally. 

I had a few pages that are not often crawled so I manually submitted them for re-crawl via google search console and the displayed titles were updated within a day. 

I have received an email from Shopify that they know about the issue and they are working on it. 

Rangershooter
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

As far as I can tell the issue is fixed!