Adding a serial number in order fulfillment

danjamk
6 0 0

For our core product (a smart device), we assign a unique serial number to every inventory item. Many electronic products do the same.  We would like to record this serial number during the fulfillment process so we know exactly what the customer received.  This seems like it would be a common need, but I am struggling to find either a native shopify solution or an application.  Any suggestion?

I see a similar discussion here, ended with no solution...

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Serialization/td-p/502408

Replies 10 (10)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

There's probably a way to do it.

What exactly do you mean by "record this serial number during the fulfillment process" ?

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
danjamk
6 0 0

When we are fulfilling this order, I would like the warehouse to update the order with the serial Number.  Example: When we ship Order #1286, we see that SN:872000280 was shipped to this customer (ideally it relates to line-items... but a list of SN's for an order would be ok too).

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

The Edit Order feature was announced this summer, I'd guess that's coming soon. Then you could edit on a line-item level.

On the order level, currently you can Edit Notes:

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 12.31.33 PM.jpg

Notes seems like a good solution because you can paste your list of serial #'s for all the items in that one section.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
DenisAt
Excursionist
12 0 11

There is one caveat however - if you enter information in the notes field of the order it is not searchable. So if you are searching for a specific serial number you have a problem ..... I was told you can use "Better Reports" to also search via the order notes fields, but I was wondering whether there is another/different option how to do this. Would anyone know?

VanessaPacheco
Tourist
7 0 0

Exactly! We need a solution stat!

Ragibh
Shopify Partner
8 0 3

Hi Dan, 

I think what you need is an app that allows you to do the following 

a) Empower you to add the SN# for products at the time of fulfillment 

b) The serial number should also be a part of your invoice 

c) With the serial number, you should be able to handle warranties as well (if any) 

With these points covered you would be able to: 

a) Generate more revenues by selling extended product warranties 

b) Be able to manage stock better 

c) Be able to manage warranties more effectively and improve your services to your customers 

I tried to look around but unfortunately could not find an app that could do all of the above mentioned. What I can do in my capacity is to develop this app then you can deploy the same on your Shopify Store. If you think you are up to it then let me know and we can take the conversation forward. 

thanks 

Ragib

Ragib Hussain
President | Primary Software Corp. | www.primarysoftware.com

ringsoft
Tourist
5 0 1

We created a script using SerialMagic Professional Windows to post serial numbers a tags.
We scan serial number with Scanfob brand scanner and SerialMagic posts the serial number as a tag

For large number of serial number, SerialMagic has 'Virtual Scanner' option to assign CSV file to supply input, so we put hundreds of serial numbers on the order.

This worked nicely until a recent Shopify 'improvement' that causes the script to run 2500% slower, and Shopify failed to provide any method to override the 'auto-save tag' feature.

ringsoft
Tourist
5 0 1

We updated our script to deal with the 'tag autosave' and it works again.

ResOPS
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Team, How can I get this script? 

Volconic
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Hi @DawidG - We've been working on an App that solves this exact problem. When an order is created we create a serial number and add it to the order in Shopify.

Check out our app https://apps.shopify.com/volconic-passport to find out more. Feel free to reach out to learn more.