Are Whatsapp messaging apps (for abandoned carts) legal?

itspriyanka
Shopify Partner
39 0 5

Hi,

There are multiple apps that help shopify sites send whatsapp msgs to abandoned cart users. If the messages are send manually, stores can use their phone no. If automated, most apps use their numbers. This is the disclaimer one of the apps puts:

Note: Messages are sent from WhatsApp Approved Bot Number.
Though we are sending your WhatsApp number direct (wa.me/<your whatsapp number>) link with all messages, Customer can contact you using that link.

From what I understand, sending msgs like these without customer's permission (what whatsapp calls opt-in) are not permissible under its privacy laws. Infact I know someone (not using Shopify, but a different business) who sent manual whatsapp msgs to leads gathered through their website and whatsapp blocked the number.

I understand that the business needs to have a whatsapp approved no and get the customer to opt-in before they can initiate a conversation with the customer on whatsapp.

Given all this, are these apps allowed to send msgs on mechant's behalf? Is it legal? Since they are endorsed by Shopify, can someone from Shopify apps team throw light on this?

Thanks,

Priyanka

Reply 1 (1)

VanhishikhaB
Shopify Partner
39 0 2

Hey there, 

From my understanding of the topic, and how I have seen Shopify stores make use of abandoned cart reminders on WhatsApp, it is legal to send them reminders. But there's a catch to this - you need to be using an app that leverages the official WhatsApp Business API; either they should be an official partner with them - or using the API - like QuickReply.ai either way, they are then complying to all the regulations set for WhatsApp marketing - contrary to those bulk message providers! 

Vanhishikha Bhargava