Re: Bulk update of inventory

Bulk update of inventory

Knofan
Tourist
15 0 2

Hey Guys

I am updating roughly 1500 variants with new stock levels each hour and that takes for ever. Is there any way of sending this to shopify in bulk, via api or file? I will soon add another 500-1000 variants and that will make it even more inefficient.

I looked into GraphQL but it seems i can only update the delta for one product at the time and that means for every variant i still need to make at least one call.

Is there anything else to try?

Replies 5 (5)

derenhg
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Hey @Knofan 

Have you checked any app to update variants?

How are you currently updating the variants ?

Knofan
Tourist
15 0 2

Right now i use ShopifySharp and update them through the rest api, one at a time. Im worried this will be so slow i cant add more products.

I really try to only make one call per style tho. But its still slow. Right now i have about 2000 variants and if i can update 2 per second (and i cant) it will take half an hour. That is way to slow.

I have not checked any apps, is there anything that can be automated?

derenhg
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Well I would check out any app on app store for bulk inventory update. But if you need to bulk update regularly than you would need some app or even if you are updating it one time than it is worth paying for the app too

Kalen_Jordan
Shopify Partner
526 18 78

These are the available bulk mutations via the API:

https://shopify.dev/docs/api/usage/bulk-operations/imports

Might be possible to do it with productVariantUpdate.

Stacy_Zhuk
Shopify Partner
465 21 65

Hello @Knofan,

It seems you will need to have a custom app exactly for your store to implement "productVariantUpdate" via GraphQL request. At your end, you will need to scope together multiple variants updates to some batches like 50pcs per request and this way update the entire set as you need. So your system either should have the existing connection to be adjusted in the way I describe above + you should implement and register the private app for Shopify OR you need to build a middleware that speaks to your ERP (or whatever you used to store stock levels) and then translate those batches to the private Shopify app.

Please, get in touch if you need any assistance.

Best regards,
Anastasia

Co-founder at Whidegroup, e-commerce development company from Ukraine
- 10+ years of experience with SMBs
- Deep expertise in custom development & optimization
E-mail: anastasia@whidegroup.com