Deposit app

Vika_Francis
1 0 1

Hello there, 

unluckly, shopify can't offer to manage the deposits in the system.

We are clothing rent brand, and we need to add to every product deposit price for customer at the checkout. Maybe there is a propper app for this, or maybe someone can advice an app developer who can help to create one? 

Thanks in advance!

Replies 89 (89)
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4514 433 982

Hi @Vika_Francis,

Nick here from Shopify. Good question!

Yes, as you pointed out, Shopify doesn't have a deposit feature native to the platform and to do what you are looking for it would require an app or some custom work from a developer. 

There are a couple of apps in the Shopify App Store which spring to mind for this. Let's take a look at them below:

It might also be worth your time to take a look through the App Store at some other recurring payment apps here to see if they can fit with what you're looking to do. 

You also mentioned about having a developer build something customized for you. You can see the Shopify Expert directory here which would be your best bet for this. Shopify Experts are verified by Shopify and know the platform inside and out. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mrs_a_w_caldwel
Tourist
3 0 1

Did you ever find an app for deposits? I too am still looking.

TutuRentals
Tourist
8 0 9

This issue is driving me completely and totally mad.  I have researched multiple platforms (Weebly, Wix, Shopify, GoDaddy, and others) and no one apparently has a solution for this problem in which multiple users on each platform has complained.  

Has ANYONE successfully built and managed a rental site which requires a deposit on its products?

Vellir
Shopify Partner
134 29 37

What'd be the requirements for such app?

Maybe if you can list all the features you need it will be easier to find what you're looking for or maybe someone can take on the challenge and build it.

- Yes, we build Shopify Apps. Hit me with your idea: https://vellir.tech
- Let customers preview your products and easily add them to cart with Peek Mode
- Add free, good looking social share icons with built-in analytics to your store with Share Lab
- Manage your new arrivals with Newr
TutuRentals
Tourist
8 0 9

The feature are those that most rental sites need:

1. Ability to add a deposit fee to an order, either at checkout, or as an additional fee to a product once it is placed in a cart.

Use case:

1. User selects a rental product(s) that is placed in the cart.

2. The cart is updated with the selected product.

3. Taxes are calculated to each product.

4. A deposit fee (in my case the same deposit fee) is applied per product (deposit fee not taxed).

5. User goes to checkout with product, taxes and deposit fee(s) calculated for the total at checkout.

I would be grateful is the Shopify universe could provide a solution for this scenario.

Vellir
Shopify Partner
134 29 37

I suppose the deposit fee would be refunded to the customer at some point?

This app seems to be used a lot for setting up fees: https://apps.shopify.com/product-fees

- Yes, we build Shopify Apps. Hit me with your idea: https://vellir.tech
- Let customers preview your products and easily add them to cart with Peek Mode
- Add free, good looking social share icons with built-in analytics to your store with Share Lab
- Manage your new arrivals with Newr
TutuRentals
Tourist
8 0 9
Yes, the deposit is returned when the rental product is received and
inspected at our offices.
ilrein
Shopify Partner
26 1 2

This seems like a solid app idea. I'd like to build this for you. Would you care to discuss your requirements with me in depth?

Please, shoot me an email @ iliareingold.com@gmail.com

mrs_a_w_caldwel
Tourist
3 0 1
This would be a happy scenario for me as well. Do you perform any preauthorizations?
michaelbicycle
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello. Deposits are not the same as partial pay or layaway - Woo Commerce does this for us now and moving to Shopify it does not yet offer deposits- when will Shopify offer deposits Allowing us to collect 60% down balance COD?

weirdrealms
Tourist
4 0 2

Is the rental deposit app being developed?

BCR2020
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello, 

I am also interested in such an app. Could you let me know if this is active or no longer being created?

michaelbicycle
Tourist
5 0 1

Shopify is hiding under a rock and has not yet answered when deposits will become available.

Rookie
5 0 0

Also looking for this feature, simply want a deposit to reduce no-show's for appointments. Balance paid on arrival or completion of services. Come on Shopify, meet the demand of your paying userbase!

Bethany_Elevatr
Tourist
3 0 2

Following! Also looking for this functionality.

ROGURA
1 0 0

I am also looking for a deposit system for my travel company.

The features I would need are pricing based on today's date versus service date. 

In other words, if today's date is more than 60 days before the service date, only a deposit is required. On the check out page, there should be a due now amount and a due later amount. 

If today's date is within 60 days of the service date, then full amount is required.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4514 433 982

Hi everyone, 

Just an update. There is still no deposit app or native feature, but I have submitted this as a feature request on your behalf for future development. In the meantime, building something customised with a Shopify Expert or one of the recurring payment apps would be the best way forward. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Capture
Tourist
13 0 3

Nick,

I currently run WooCommerce and am keen to migrate to Shopify. I too run a travel company where we take a 25% deposit on signup and an invoice is then generated for the balance which is due by a certain date. If the client was to puchase a holiday before that date they would be required to pay in full. This is pretty standard to most travel businesses and without the ability to do this means that I will need to conisder if Shopify is the right platform for me, desite wanting to migrate to it. It's not exactly rocket science and this functionality would make the platform more attractive to the travel trade. I currently have this functionality in Woo. Please prioritise this in your future development plans.

LCTR
3 0 0

@TutuRentals , 

Did you ever find a way to do this? Your business is very similar to us, in that we rent  pot grown Christmas trees. We want to return the deposit after the tree is safely returned.  

Also just to mention, my other biz is a Ballet School, so I am very interested in your site!